GNU mailman and valid (and working!) pages

Nico R. n-roeser at gmx.net
Mon Oct 25 10:37:05 PDT 2004

In
<URL:http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/website/2004-April/002603.html>
on 2004-04-21 (a long, long time ago ...), Nico R. wrote:

> Anderson Lizardo wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 21 April 2004 08:14, Nico R. wrote:
>>> I'm always annoyed when reading pipermail archives (from LFS or
>>> others), because I have my default foreground color set to white and
>>> my default background color to black or pink or something strange
>>> for debugging web pages.
>>> The pipermail archives set the default bg color, but not fg, so I
>>> see white text on white background - great!
>>
>> What do you suggest to fix this issue? add FGCOLOR="#000000" or
>> remove BGCOLOR? I can handle that one for you.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion; either way will work fine, but there
> might still be problems with other colors (didn't look into these).
> a) Adding the foreground color will result in black-on-white pages;
> b) removing the background color in user's default colors.
>
> I think, as the mailinglist archives are more or less many plain texts
> and not web pages with lots of style, images, etc., b) would be fine
> here.

I have decided to use a) for now, because this was faster.

Attached is a patch to fix the missing-text-color issue. That patch has
been submitted upstream, too.

[...]
>> Anyway, I
>> remember Jeroen trying to implement nice templates for mailman but it
>> showed so difficult to implement (due to hard-coded HTML code on
>> Python files, AFAIR) that he gave up.
>
> Yep, I read the mailman code which creates that stuff. Not very fine,
> IMHO, but I'd give it a try, because I hate those broken pages...

I haven't touched this. The patch is not that nice, because it does not
fix those bugs, but it improves things for now.

>> Also, there is a huge archive
>> already processed with the default template (and even some pages with
>> Jeroen's templates from when he was trying to implement them), that
>> may need to be reprocessed to reflect the template change.
>
> Hrm, good point. I didn't think about that. Is there an option to
> reprocess a bunch of messages? If not, some scripting may help, but
> that sounds rather difficult and I don't want to touch this - yet...

If you want to, you can easily insert the missing
 text="#000000"
with a simple sed.

[...]
> However, I'll probably use mailman-2.1.4 for that experiment;
> belgarath is running 2.1.2 at the moment, if I'm correctly informed.

The patch is against mailman-2.1.5. Would be nice if someone could
upgrade belgarath to mailman-2.1.5 plus this patch.

Do you see any problems with that?

Greetings,
--
Nico