Distribute website update between repositories

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 24 14:51:31 PDT 2004

On Sunday 24 October 2004 16:00, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Anderson Lizardo said the following on 24-10-2004 21:57:
> > This other one took 1m14.079s to complete, faster than the previous one
> > because nothing actually required update. The first commit updated a tree
> > from September to HEAD.
> >
> > What actually takes longer to complete (only visible when you run the
> > script manually) is the hints tarball creation, which IMHO should be
> > moved to its own post-commit script on the hints repository so it will
> > only be recreated if needed.
>
> Can you make it so or do we need the hints people for it?

Thinking a little more about this, I see that we _must_ "distribute" the
website update between each project's repository. The reason is simple: using
a post-commit script, the website will only be updated if someone makes a
change to the www repository, including:

- Hints tree and tarball
- Patches tree
- SVN logs attached to each project's news.html file

So, if we do not make changes to the repostory for a week, all the information
above will be outdated. This does not apply to the LFS and BLFS books, which
have their own cron-based scripts which run independently from the website
script.

Now, if each project updates its news.html files and the hints/patches
projects update their trees on the website on each commit (using a
post-commit script), the information on the website will always be
up-to-date.

To make this work, the projects which need to touch files on the website
(basically all of them) will have a line on their repository's post-commit
hook scripts, calling update-website.mk with a specific rule for them. Also,
all belgarath users who have commit privileges to these projects need to be
on the "lfswww" group.

I'll explain this a little more when I have update-website.mk modified to
accomplish this.
--
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org