Admin help needed for setting up new website update script

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 17 16:57:18 PDT 2004

Hi admins,

I'm implementing a new update script for the website, based on a post-commit
process. I've been testing it for some time, and I'd like to put it online
ASAP. For this, the following administrative tasks (which require special
privileges) need to be done, _in the order they are listed_:

1) Disable the cronjob which runs run-update-website.sh. I think it runs on
Gerard's account.

2) Append the following line to /home/svn/repositories/www/hooks/post-commit:

/home/lizardo/scripts/update-website-hook.sh "$REPOS" "$REV"

As a suggestion, I think it would be good to have a place to store all the
scripts currently not versioned by Subversion. A "scripts" repository can be
created which stores the render-{b,}lfs-book.sh, update-search-engine.sh and
hook scripts (amongst others), with a post-commit hook that updates the real
script locations
(eg. /usr/bin/update-search-engine.sh, /usr/bin/render-lfs-book.sh). A
separate location can even be created to store these scripts on belgarath
(eg. /var/lib/scripts), so a simple "svn -q update /var/lib/scripts" updates
all scripts at once.

Thanks,

PS.: The actions above will not change anything
on /home/httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org imediately. This is on purpose,
because I want to see how the script behaves (performance and stability)
before putting it to update the live website.
--
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/