Template integration?

Jeremy Huntwork jeremy at jenacon.net
Sat Jun 26 11:06:24 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Matthew Burgess said the following on 26-06-2004 13:47:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:37:25 +0200
>> Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> How hard would it be to integrate the various template mechanisms we
>>> currently have? There's swish, lfscounter, TWiki, ViewCVS, Mailman,
>>> Bugzilla... it would be great if we can have them re-use at least some
>>> components for eg. headers, footers, navigation, etc.
>>

>> This immediately brings to mind trac again, simply as it has the
>> functionality of viewcvs, TWiki (although to what extend I'm not
>> qualified to say) and Bugzilla in it already.  That's 50% of things
>> using the same templates straight away.  lfscounter should be trivial to
>> convert, as it's only a relatively small script. Unfortunately I know
>> nothing of swish or mailman to be able to comment on their ease of
>> configuring with regard to a different template system.
>

> Yes, the conversion to trac would obselete viewCVS and Bugzilla, but
> it's Wiki functionality is meant to replace the Bugzilla comment
> system. It would be a nice replacement for wiki.lfs.org, but it's not
> suitable as CMS hence not a TWiki replacement.
> I'm not sure how "compatible" the trac template system is since its
> based on a C-library instead of Perl/PHP templates.
>
>> Having said that, the migration to trac may actually be harder than
>> converting the 3 areas of functionality it would replace.
>

> ViewCVS is easily replaced, and the wiki.lfs.org will be replaced
> anyhow, either as an open Web in TWiki or in trac. The conversion from
> Bugzilla is probably harder, since we'd have to convert bugs to issues
> and comments to trac wiki pages.

There are (at least ) 3 routes we could take here, as I see it:

1) Continue using viewCVS, Bugzilla, and work to make all our apps use
the same templates.  This would take a bit of work, but I believe it
could be done, and for many of the apps it wouldn't be too hard.  The
way I set up the recent lfscounter was to make it so other apps could
use the same templates.  I believe both Swish and Bugzilla could already
be easily tweaked to use the same template ( all based on the Perl
Template module ).  There would likely be a lot of work to make the
other apps, such as viewCVS or TWiki use the same templates.

2) Implement trac, replacing viewCVS & Bugzilla completely.  As Matthew
pointed out it already has built-in a lot of the functionality that
we're seeking, but, also as Jeroen mentioned, there would still be work
to make it do *all* that we want.  Wiki & converting Bugzilla entries
are two items that come to mind.  The built in wiki of trac is nice, but
it misses some functionality.  We could, of course, hack it a bit and
adjust it to suit our needs... a lot of work for number 2, as well.

3) Going out on a bit of a limb.  We could develop our own application.
( Like Matthew, I'll put on my flame-resistant suit now. :) )  Based on
the functionality of all the programs we currently use, we could build a
system that does it all, indexing/searching, tickets/bugs, wiki, CMS,
register/find users, etc.  Now, of course this would take a lot of time
and work, but we'd end up with a system that does all that we want, the
way we want, and may possibly be of use to others, too.

I'm not promoting *any* of these items over another.  Just throwing them
out there for consideration.  (I will admit that #3 would be a fun
undertaking, though. :) )
There might be other options that I've missed, too.  I do think,
however, it is a worthy goal to try to have one templating system that
all web apps share and use together.  Make 'em wear a uniform! ;)

--
Jeremy Huntwork