Subversion migration

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 21 17:13:00 PDT 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 16:03, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Matthew Burgess said the following on 21-06-2004 19:57:
> > Other *LFS projects will be migrated on an individual basis, at
> > dates & times to be agreed between myself, Jeremy and project leads.  I
>
> I'd like to migrate the website over too, if the other folks in the
> website team agree. Anderson; Jeremy; any suggestions for a date? I'd
> rather let you guys handle the script updates since scripting is not my
> best skill.

I would take a date from July just like the BLFS team. I personally will be
pretty busy the next two weeks (this one and the next), although I can
garantee I will have time on this period to do all necessary script changes.
After that, I'll have more time to go on-line on IRC and help coordinating
our migration (or, better saying, our CVS repository's migration :-) [See
Richard's post on alfs-discuss].

> Also, regarding the update-website.sh script; it might be a good idea to
> use "svn up" instead of "svn export" and use a .htaccess directive to
> make the .svn directories inaccessible from the web. I've noticed in my
> own projects that svn checkouts are disk-intensive when executed on the
> server.

You mean that instead of our current method (rm -rf; cvs export), we will just
do a "svn update", right? I didn't see yet on Real Life how svn manages
conflicts, but in case we do heavy changes to the directory structure (like
for our future CMS migration), at least on CVS, the cvs' local working copy
can potentially become "unclean" requiring a new cvs checkout. How is your
experience on this, regarding Subversion?

--
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/