Bugzilla todos

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 19 04:29:41 PDT 2004

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:21:22 +0200
Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Matthew Burgess said the following on 19-06-2004 12:04:
> > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:49:47 +0200
> > Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> >

> >>I asked around on the bugzilla lists and while they agreed that
> >XHTML>compliance was a worthy goal, they were worried about
> >compatibility>with older browsers.
> >

> > Errr, IIRC XHTML is simly a (much) stricter variety of HTML, and
> > therefore if a browser can render HTML then it should also be able
> > to render XHTML.  Oh, maybe they mean having it look pretty via CSS,
> > which
>
> I offered them the same arguments, but apparantly older browsers (NN4)
>
> have problems with compliant XHTML, especially in the forms. (perhaps
> some big customers need NN4-compliance?).

Maybe they should discover "vendor branches" in CVS & subversion then :)

> I'm not sure what their current standpoint is though, so better
> verify.
>
> Btw. how "married" to bugzilla are we? IIRC Gerard wanted to dump it
> in the past. If that is still the case, may I suggest we have a look
> at Trac (http://www.edgewall.com/products/trac/)? Killer feature is
> the Subversion integration. It's Wiki component can be a nice
> successor for the current wiki.linuxfromscratch.org (not to be
> confused with TWiki, which will probably be used as CMS).

I took a look at Trac and liked it a lot, although I think we're jumping
ahead of ourselves at the moment - the subversion migration isn't even
done yet :)  Trac's yet another thing to investigate though!  I'll wait
for Gerard to get back up to speed on the project before we seriously
discuss moving away from Bugzilla.

Cheers,

Matt.