Proposal: integrate hints into the Wiki? (long)

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 9 17:35:53 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley said the following on 10-06-2004 02:01:

> The current choice, TWiki - I assume it uses some form of database
> backend, correct?  And it's pages are generated dynamically according to
> information pulled from that database backend?  If so, this makes it a
> bad solution, as mirroring will be next to impossible.

Like Anderson said, it's much easier to backup because it doesn't use a
database backend. We already discussed all of this before. Read
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/website/2004-March/002372.html
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/website/2004-April/002567.html

Specifically, we chose TWiki because it is so much easier to mirror then
a LAMP or Plone system.

>> Also remember that all this discussion is because we are trying to
>> change the current system; so, is "stay as is" really an option?
>>
> Sure it is.  If the current site meets the needs of the project, then
> why change it?  Personally, I think the current site is great, good
> information available, not cluttered with junk, it meets the needs of
> the project.

I don't want anybody else to maintain it! :-) So I'm trying to find ways
to make it easier on me and at the same time, easier for *all* of us.
That way, once it's setup, nobody is dependent on me for fixing the
stylesheet, or adjusting the navigation list, or adding a new project
(all of which are fairly laborious processes which require some intimate
knowledge of XHTML/CSS and the LFS website). Best of all, everyone will
be able to maintain their own content, using plain text or HTML. I like
to think that is a worthy goal.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans