Proposal: integrate hints into the Wiki? (long)

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 9 16:41:15 PDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:43:01 +0200
Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Matthew Burgess said the following on 10-06-2004 00:06:
> >
> > Just tyring to clear this up before it degenerates into another
> > flamewar.
>
> That is not my intention, although I seem to get baited into one. And
> for the record, Tushar was not in agreement. See
> <http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-dev/2004-Jun
> e/006593.html> Please get your facts straight.

No, please get *your* facts straight - or at least come up with a fair
argument.  That email was posted on June 8th.  I was brought in to an
off-list discussion on the 1st June, which continued until 7th June.
So, until the announcement was made, following no objections, then I
thought Tushar was in agreement due to the absence of any comments from
him.  Add to the fact that Tushar actually agreed with 2 out of the 3
changes in your linked-to post anyway...

> If you don't mind, I'm going to ignore any pro/anti Wiki discussions
> and just focus on the testing of what we've come up with until now. It
> wasn't an arbitrary or light decision and I'll let you and the
> community judge me when it's ready. Until then, I'm putting my
> flame-resistant suit on.

FWIW, I wasn't aware of any prior discussions due to me not monitoring
the website list.  If you, as website maintainers, are confident that
the changes you're working on will provide the functionality we need
whilst not causing any unreasonable breakages then I'm in favour of it
(whatever "it" happens to be).  As you may be aware, I'm not up to speed
on the factors and technology involved, and, like you, am pushed for
time so can't afford to spend any time looking into it.

Cheers,

Matt.