A couple more "fixed" news items needed?

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Mon Oct 27 19:20:44 PST 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > Hi Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational. You said the following on 10/26/03
> > 23:08:
><snip>

> > I'll await your feedback first. When I was developing the site I asked
> ><snip>

> So my thought is either just "Bugs", "Bugzilla" or "View/Submit Bugs".
> Then when my eye first lands on that, I search no more.
>
> Now, keep in mind that I'm still very CLI-oriented and may not be the
> best judge of these sorts of things,

Ok, doing this one over a little time. Left the above as a reminder so
you'd have my thoughts in a single post.

Please keep in mind that I am definitly "esthetically challenged" and
this has an effect on my eye-flow. I also am biased heavilly towards
minimal mouse traversal distances (hand-eye coordination deficiency?).

I focus strongly on "associations" too, meaning that "important" things
or closely related things should be near each other.

Genrally, its all very good and really comes down, in many ways, to
personal preferences. IMO, the suggestions below amount to minor changes
(improvements?) individually, and only "medium" improvements in
aggregate, even for me who makes these suggestions.

Enough preambles. Just remember that I may not be the best judge of
these things.

 1. Because of the *striking* predominance of the news section, it
    immediately draws the eye to that area. So I would move the three
    items at the top of the screen above the "chef" (Beyond LFS,
    Automated LFS and Hints) to the gray area just below the chef's box
    and above the news items, or to the bottom of the chef's box.

    Enlarge them just *slightly* (or additional highlighting) so they
    compete with the news and the boxes going down the left and right
    sides.

    This would allow the chef's box to be vertically shortend without
    distortion of the chef; enlarging the chef would be possible too.

 2. Regardless of the above, I would add the Wiki home on that line. If
    we want to promote use of the wiki, it needs greater prominence.

 3. The Organization docs and/or the Roadmap might go there too.
    Keep in mind that there are potentially two versions of the Roadmap
    and Org docs at any given moment: the current official (which should
    be *not* in the wiki any longer) and the WIP on the wiki. On further
    reflection: maybe only "Organization" which would be a drop-down
    menu, I guess, and would incorporate all things like Roadmap (wiki
    version and current stable), teams, .... This based on the
    assumption that they would be less frequently visited and so could
    live in a "drop-down" without great inconvenience to the user.

 4. I like the search stuff where it's at, but I would like a wider
    "enter text..." box.

 5. The news is *substantially "taller" than either of the left or right
    menu boxes. That makes for a lot of wasted screen space. My feeling
    is that the left and right could be combined on one side and the
    extra widht given to the news. This would mke the news less "tall"
    and reduce the amount of scrolling back up to get to the menu area.
    My bias would be to have the menu on the left, but either side
    would do.

 6. Left side: as mentioned, change "Report a bug" to something more
    general; add a patches entry under download (too much work to get to
    them right now); remove developers wiki from there, it's sort of out
    of place IMO (as well as implying read-only).

 7. I don't really follow having "Project:" and no  project under it. I
    would expect to see "Lfs", "BLFS", "Alfs", ... with that heading. I
    think better would be "LFS" and under that *everything* on the left
    side would be indented slightly. Same would apply for BLFS or ALFS.

 8. I would like to see "Current stable" and "Previous Releases"
    combined into "Stable Releases". Then sort in reverse on the list
    printed so that the latest stable is at the top and the oldest at
    the bottom. Reduces mouse activity and shortens left side a bit
    more. No additional user workload either (in fact, less).

 9. Under "Read", "CVS", might want to mention about the gen times and
    possible delays for mirrors to get synch'd. If there is a known
    "schedule" of synch-ups, a link to that would be useful.

10. For the stable and current releases, a link to the wiki errata (not
    yet active AFAICT) and roadmap should be included.

11. Need a link to community acknowledgements in the wiki (not yet
    implemented).

General strategy: whereever I'm at in the navigation tree for a
particular item, can I get to a closely related thing quickly? So, from
reading a book, for example, can I get directly to errata /no matter
where I am in the book/. To its roadmap? To its "team" (list of
editors), ...

That's it in a nutshell (well, a rather large nut, I guess).

HTH

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational