Voting Booth/Poll

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Sun Oct 26 04:21:12 PST 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Anderson Lizardo wrote:

> Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational wrote:

> > > I like gpoll. It's simple and flexible and is already XHTML 1.0
> > > ready.[...]

> > Would this be suitable for something I suggested a short while ago?
> > That is, I felt we had no firm way to assure that a pre-release had
> > received adequate testing, from our POV, to determine if it was
> > suitable for final release. I would like to see this sort of polling
> > for the general user community to confirm the test teams' results.
> > Oh! Might be good for them (test teams) too. Multiple architectures
> > would be a plus I guess.
>
> Can you give an example of how this polling would be? I'm afraid I did
> not understand your suggestion fully. Then I can say if our voting poll
> will serve for this purpose or not.

Well, it's just a nebulous concept in my mind ATM. Basically
envisioned something like:

Scenario 1:
 1. User downloads *-pre*;
 2. Tests and installs;
 3. Comes back to "poll";
 4. Selects arch, one of a few OSs & versions (or maybe this is
    commentary?);
 5. Selects one of a few "results". Maybe "good", "so-so",
    "hunk-a-junk",...;
 6. If not "good", then another screen for commentary or ask them to
    post to *-dev so the issues can be discussed and resolved.

Or Scenario 2:
 1. User downloads *-pre*;
 2. Tests and installs;
 3. Comes back to "poll";
 4. Just clicks a counter indicating a good install and no resulting
    problems.

I guess 2 is easier and more in line with the basic need; just need
to know that many have tested and succeeded.

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational