Voting Booth/Poll

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Sat Oct 25 12:40:21 PDT 2003

Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> I will be testing the following standalone voting polls that I found
> on Freshmeat:
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/gpoll/

I like gpoll. It's simple and flexible and is already XHTML 1.0 ready.
Supports many kinds of database systems: PostgreSQL, mySQL, Oracle, or
Sybase. I've tested it locally, because it doesn't have a on-line demo
available. Gerard, can you setup a database for it, so we can show it
working on-line? Just add a database named "gpoll" and a DB user
"gpoll" (you can send me the password privately) for it. It also needs
a place to put the Perl scripts, with execution permission (some kind
of "cgi-bin" directory). BTW, what DB system is currently available on
the server?

> http://freshmeat.net/projects/ivote/

It's a voting system specific for images, ignore it.

> http://freshmeat.net/projects/mikessurveycgi/

It's too simple :-/. It has a txt based database and doesn't have a
web-based administration tool like gpoll and pollcentral. So, I don't
suggest it.

> http://freshmeat.net/projects/pollcentral/

A nice tool, too. It has more features than gpoll (like the ability to
add comments to the voting poll). But it's only MySQL ready and uses
frames on its interface (I don't know if it can be disabled though).
The online demo is available on
http://pollcentral.sourceforge.net/demo.html.

Conclusion: if we want something simple (block multiple votes from the
same people, show results, statistics), stay with gpoll. But if we need
more powerful features, use pollcentral. If neither seem to fullfill
our needs, we can still try to "rip out" the voting poll code from
slashcode.

--
Anderson Lizardo