need to validate site before update-website.sh makes it live

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Fri Oct 24 15:28:34 PDT 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 21:36, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> > Both do the same thing. One advantage of the last one is that, if
> > you have a well-configured Docbook installation (I don't know the
> > details, but you can "force" OpenSP to use local DTDs instead of
> > on-line ones), it will not download the XHTML DTD from W3C, but use
> > the local DTD.
>
> I'll opt for the download. Docbook might not live to survive much
> longer so I'll use xmllint which is a definite keeper.

OK... But remember that if you use the xmllint command on fcron scripts,
it will consume some bandwidth downloading the XHTML DTD for each HTML
file you validate!

By the way, The Perl code behind http://validator.w3.org/ does this: the
server has the (X)HTML DTDs locally installed and run onsgml for
validation. Imagine how much bandwidth it would spend downloading DTDs
for each validation it does p/ day...

> Did some testing, works nice. xmlllint spews out an error and also
> exit value of '1' so the script can test for that and abort before
> the site is made live. This will stop us having a bad site for x
> amount of time during which mirrors could sync it which would cause
> that mirror to be broken for a whole lot longer.
>
> I'll add some scripting glue into update-website.sh to use xmllint on
> all generated html files.

See my previous post; it has suggestions on where you should put the
validation code on update-website.sh.

--
Anderson Lizardo