need to validate site before update-website.sh makes it live

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Fri Oct 24 15:21:46 PDT 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 09:55, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > Or if that takes too long you could restrict it to the dynamically
> > generated files.
>
> Maybe all of the site is better just to catch all errors in there are
> any. I'm running into some problems though.
>
> First of all, the online books can't be validated, things don't work
> quite well (  not being defined is a common error) so that needs
> to be ignored by find. Then there are issues with the copyright
> symbol you put in the files. It generates errors like:
>
> ./news/hints/2003/08.html:95: error: Input is not proper UTF-8,
> indicate encoding !
>                 <li>© 1998-2003  Gerard Beekmans.</li>
>
> I'll see what I can do about encoding.
>
> Then the 'old' directory needs to be ignored, no big deal there.
>
> Then there are errors like:
>
> ./alfs/archive-top.html:40: error: Premature end of data in tag div
> line 37
> ./alfs/archive-top.html:40: error: Premature end of data in tag html
> line 2
> ./alfs/archive-bottom.html:2: error: xmlParseStartTag: invalid
> element name

The validation should be done on "final" HTML tree, not on CVS tree. It
has some templates that are not complete HTML files by themselves.

If xmllint will be on update-website.sh, I suggest add it right before

# Everything is in place now, so replace HTMLDIR with TMPDIR

And validate the files on $TMPDIR/www/.
--
Anderson Lizardo