need to validate site before update-website.sh makes it live

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 24 09:32:38 PDT 2003

Hi Gerard Beekmans. You said the following on 10/24/03 18:13:
> First of all, the online books can't be validated, things don't work
> quite well (  not being defined is a common error) so that needs to
> be ignored by find. Then there are issues with the copyright symbol you
> put in the files. It generates errors like:
>
> ./news/hints/2003/08.html:95: error: Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate
> encoding !
>                 <li>© 1998-2003  Gerard Beekmans.</li>

Hm, the copyright symbol is defined as © , maybe they're converted
in these dynamically generated archives. Anderson?

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Flinuxfromscratch.org%2Fnews%2Fhints%2F2003%2F08.html
The W3 validator doesn't find it an error though, but HTML tidy gives a
warning.

> I'll see what I can do about encoding.
>
> Then the 'old' directory needs to be ignored, no big deal there.
>
> Then there are errors like:
>
> ./alfs/archive-top.html:40: error: Premature end of data in tag div line
> 37
> ./alfs/archive-top.html:40: error: Premature end of data in tag html
> line 2
> ./alfs/archive-bottom.html:2: error: xmlParseStartTag: invalid element
> name
>

> also happens in news/archive*.html and others.

Those are templates, which are catted together for the site. Maybe they
should be moved to a seperate location (www/templates) but then the
website script needs adjusting.

> ./blfs/faq.html:100: error: xmlParseEntityRef: expecting ';'
> s a <a
> href="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&nam
>
> ./blfs/faq.html:101: error: xmlParseEntityRef: expecting ';'
> ot <a
> href="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_join_form&i

Those are real errors, funny you mention them because I /just/ fixed
them online (not in CVS yet).

> archive-top.html and -bottom.html don't seem to be used anywhere in the
> site but it should be fixed else xmllint craps out, if it can be fixed.
> If not, adding to find's prune statement is an option (pruning takes
> place anyways so it's no biggie, just let me know if you can fix it).

Like I said, those are templates, shouldn't be checked (everything with
-top and -bottom in it).

> Jeroen, maybe you want to run xmllint yourself on all the files to see
> what you can do with it. I copied the www.lfs.org dir into my home
> directory and removed some things like lfs/download lfs/view
> blfs/download blfs/view blfs/edguide (easier that way than writing out
> the prune regex).

AFAIK those were the only errors.

FAQ and Website Maintainer
{faq,website}@linuxfromscratch.org