Outages

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 00:13:07 PDT 2003

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:37:25 +0200
Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Hi Richard A Downing FBCS. You said the following on 10/10/03
> 08:21:
> > On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 07:17:59 +0100
> > Richard A Downing FBCS <geek109 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> >>I've had a couple of times in the last two days when I could
> >>not get LFS access - I can ping www.linuxfromscratch.org, but
> >>Firebird reports 'document contains no data' on the website.
> >>It's doing it right now.  I can access the local mirror, but
> >>it's not up to date.  Is this a problem your end?  Might be
> >my>(C)ISP of course.
> >

> > And now its working again.
>
> Strange, I saw that error only when I saturate my internet link
> and the connection times out. High traffic? (perhaps on your
> line, perhaps on your ISP's line)

Thanks, Jeroen.  It's not a big thing, but there may have been a
problem you were not aware of at the LFS-ranch.  07:00 is a
pretty quiet time in the UK for internet traffic, so it may well
be the time one of the companies in the ISP's chain take capacity
out for maintenance.  Strange that other US/CAN sites (e.g.
freshmeat.net, tldp.org) were not affected.  I'll just keep tabs
on it for a bit.

--
Cheers, Richard

Richard A Downing FBCS

Anyone  sending  unwanted  advertising   e-mail
to this address will be charged $25 for network
traffic and computing time.   By  extracting my
address from  this  message or its  header, you
agree to these terms.