Modifying cleancvs.sh to accomodate permission issues?

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 9 08:36:12 PDT 2003

On Thu, 09, Oct, 2003 at 09:21:13AM -0600, Gerard Beekmans spoke thus..
> Hi again,
>
> Mark, please read
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/website/2003-October/001184.html
> in case you missed the post.
>
> We run a script as root through cron called cleancvs.sh - it cleans up
> CVS permissions, lock file permissions and such things and it runs once
> an hour. It's basically a script full with chmod and chgrp commands to
> ensure the CVS files are always writable by the proper groups and so
> forth.
>
> How about we rename this script to fix-permissions.sh and make it a
> general permission fixer upper script. It will ensure all CVS
> repositories and lock file directories are in order, it will also run
> the chmod and chgrp commands to make sure the website directories are
> all in order. That'll make the manual adjusting issue less fragile.

To be honest I'd think it should be two seperate scripts.

Also, I'd be tempted (as I mentioned the other day) to use a different
unprivileged user to store the website info.  You could give the
relevant people sudo permissions to allow them to run that script as the
right user (in case it has to be forced in between cron runs).

Thoughts?

Mark

PS - Please keep me in the CC, I'm not on website at linuxfromscratch.org

"Irish police are being handicapped in a search for a stolen van, because
 they cannot issue a description. It's a special branch vehicle, and they
 don't want the public to know what it looks like."
     The Guardian