Be sure to chmod and chgrp manual changes

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 9 08:17:01 PDT 2003

Larry,

When you put 5.0-pre1 files up, you didn't end up making all the new
files group writable, so the nightly update script failed.

This script runs as user 'gerard' and I had no permissions to remove
your files. When you make manual changes to the site, please run "chmod
g+w -R /home/httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org" as well as "chgrp -R lfswww
/home/httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org"

I realize the current setup is fragile. Somebody forgets to do this and
the update script won't run. The alternative is running the script as
root, but I rather not. One stupid mistake such as

rm -rf / home/httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org

and we're in deep trouble. Typo's are too easy hence they run as an
unpriv'ed user.

--
Gerard Beekmans
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org