Website restored

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 8 10:18:16 PDT 2003

Hi guys,

All is well again.

We found out the problem was caused by a race condition. Every hour cron
runs a script cleancvs.sh that sets proper permissions on the files and
directories in CVS. During the first chmod run performed by the script,
files are set to mode 0464. However, there are some files that should be
executable, so they are later on put to mode 0764 so when you cvs co
them, they can be executed.

Now what happened, at 2 AM, both the cleancvs script ran as well as the
update-website script. update-website co'ed the www repository before
cleancvs got to the mode 0764 bit, so some of the helper files couldn't
be executed anymore which created these problems.

Why exactly the patches disappeared I'm not entirely sure of. Those
helper executables create the news files, they don't copy the files over
(that's done with a simple cp -a).

Everything seems to be fine now though. Let's hope it stays this way.

--
Gerard Beekmans
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

// Linux Consultant --- OSDN / DevChannel

// If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem