[links-list] Re: Accept-Language request header flag

Petr Kulhavy brain at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Sat Mar 22 02:42:23 PST 2003

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Sergey Karpov wrote:

> > I can post the patch if anybody's interested.
>
> If you are interesting in links features development (official links
> maintainers seem not to be ;-)) you may participate in my project

Rubbish.

Mr. Karpov, please mind your sleazy buggy links clone and let me pronounce
as the official links development team spokesman.

Links maintainers welcome any patch, any new feature into links that is
NOT BUGGY. We don't want to create another Modzilla, Exploder, Elinks,
Links-hacked and other craps that pass compilation with lot of warning
and only on linux with gcc, have thousands of progressive features
that work in 30% of cases and in 70% don't or even crash. That's why we
read and test every patch we apply into links. BECAUSE when links crashes
users don't say "it crashed because patch from Mr. X was buggy", they
say "links crashed because it is buggy".

Creeping features like "new flashing in upper right corner" and similar
are refused, don't even try to write such.

We can take all crappy features from elinks and links-hacked and apply
them into original Links, don't test it and release it immediately as ***
NEW HOT PROGRESSIVE VERSION ***, because users yearn for new features.
That's work for one afternoon, but we simply don't want. We don't want to
make links a buggy crap that crashes every half an hour, "run" only on
linux and compile with thousands of warnings.

Due to lack of time of all of us (we have to graduate) we don't write new
features now and just fix bugs. After graduation we are supposed to have
more time.

Mikulas will write links-code-writing-howto and put it here and on the
links homepage within several days. So if you want to add some feature
into links and want to save our time, wait for that howto, read it, write
the code according to the howto, test the code, it must compile without
warnings on ANY UNIX system not just linux and run without memory leaks
and segfaults. If you have such a piece of code, create a patch against
last released version and send it to one of our addresses cited at links
homepage.

That's the official affirmation. All other rumors (e.g. by Mr. Karpov) are
unofficial and groundless.

Brain

--------------------------------
Petr `Brain' Kulhavy
<brain at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics,
Charles University Prague, Czech Republic

---
A GOOD WAY TO THREATEN somebody is to light a stick of dynamite.  Then you
call the guy and hold the burning fuse to the phone.  "Hear that?" you say.
"That's dynamite, baby."
                -- Jack Handley, The New Mexican, 1988.

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org