[links-list] Re: ELinks 0.4pre19: tiny bookmarks dialog

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Sat Nov 30 15:03:21 PST 2002

Dear diary, on Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 11:54:57PM CET, I got a letter,
where José Luis González González <jlg80 at mi.madritel.es> told me, that...
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 09:35:56PM +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
> > Dear diary, on Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 02:06:52PM CET, I got a letter,
> > where José Luis González González <jlg80 at mi.madritel.es> told me, that...
> > > ELinks 0.4pre19 promised:
> > >
> > > * The bookmarks dialog is now as large as possible
> > >
> > > But my experience is just the opposite.  On my 80x25 terminal, the
> > > bookmarks dialog is only 15 lines tall, which (resting the framing, the
> > > buttons and empty space) leaves only 6 lines for the bookmarks list!
> >
> > Hmm... well, we compute the height as:
> >
> >                                             v frames, buttons & stuff
> > item->h = term->y * 2 / 3 - 2 * DIALOG_TB - 8;
> >                                 ^^^^^^^^^ border
>
> If I rightly understand what DIALOG_TB is, then the 8 should have been
> a 5. Taking away the list lines, 2 * 2 (1,2,8,9) + 5 (3,4,5,6,7):
>
> 1
> 2  +----------------
> 3  |
> (list lines ommited)
> 4  |
> 5  | [BUTTONS]
> 6  |
> 7  | [BUTTONS]
> 8  +----------------
> 9
>
> Or am I missing something? :-)

Well, DIALOG_TB is only 1 and 9.. so the rest is 7.. that 1 is probably some
kind of reserve or so.. ;-)

> > If it's not 2/3, it's too wide and it looks ugly on larger terminals. Also,
> > there is a limitation factor of minimal height of the listbox being 6. If this
> > should change, how?
>
> I think the aesthetics should not be considered when doing so would
> cause usability problems.  A 6 line listbox is not confortable for listing
> bookmarks; more so when PgDown moves only HalfPage.
>
> Links (and previous ELinks versions) display 12 lines on 80x25
> terminals. I think the absolute minimum should be 11 lines.  This could
> be configurable from elinks.conf so the user may choose to set it higher
> or lower if (s)he thinks different than us.
>
> A proposal: (`min' is the desired minimum; 11 by default)
>
> if (term->h - 5 < min)         /* Big troubles: can't satisfy the minimum */
> 	item->h = term->h - 5;
> else if (term->h * 2 / 3 - 2 * DIALOG_TB - 5 < min)
> 	item->h = min;
> else
> 	item->h = term->h * 2 / 3 - 2 * DIALOG_TB - 5;

I like this :-). I'll use it, thanks.

Kind regards,

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.
> I don't know why people still want ACL's. There were noises about them for
> samba, but I'v enot heard anything since. Are vendors using this?
Because People Are Stupid(tm).  Because it's cheaper to put "ACL support: yes"
in the feature list under "Security" than to make sure than userland can cope
with anything more complex than  "Me Og.  Og see directory.  Directory Og's.
Nobody change it".  C.f. snake oil, P.T.Barnum and esp. LSM users
        -- Al Viro
.
Crap: http://pasky.ji.cz/
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org