[links-list] Re: ELinks 0.4pre19: tiny bookmarks dialog

José Luis González González jlg80 at mi.madritel.es
Sat Nov 30 14:54:57 PST 2002

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 09:35:56PM +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 02:06:52PM CET, I got a letter,
> where José Luis González González <jlg80 at mi.madritel.es> told me, that...
> > ELinks 0.4pre19 promised:
> >
> > * The bookmarks dialog is now as large as possible
> >
> > But my experience is just the opposite.  On my 80x25 terminal, the
> > bookmarks dialog is only 15 lines tall, which (resting the framing, the
> > buttons and empty space) leaves only 6 lines for the bookmarks list!
>
> Hmm... well, we compute the height as:
>
>                                             v frames, buttons & stuff
> item->h = term->y * 2 / 3 - 2 * DIALOG_TB - 8;
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^ border

If I rightly understand what DIALOG_TB is, then the 8 should have been
a 5. Taking away the list lines, 2 * 2 (1,2,8,9) + 5 (3,4,5,6,7):

1
2  +----------------
3  |
(list lines ommited)
4  |
5  | [BUTTONS]
6  |
7  | [BUTTONS]
8  +----------------
9

Or am I missing something? :-)

> If it's not 2/3, it's too wide and it looks ugly on larger terminals. Also,
> there is a limitation factor of minimal height of the listbox being 6. If this
> should change, how?

I think the aesthetics should not be considered when doing so would
cause usability problems.  A 6 line listbox is not confortable for listing
bookmarks; more so when PgDown moves only HalfPage.

Links (and previous ELinks versions) display 12 lines on 80x25
terminals. I think the absolute minimum should be 11 lines.  This could
be configurable from elinks.conf so the user may choose to set it higher
or lower if (s)he thinks different than us.

A proposal: (`min' is the desired minimum; 11 by default)

if (term->h - 5 < min)         /* Big troubles: can't satisfy the minimum */
	item->h = term->h - 5;
else if (term->h * 2 / 3 - 2 * DIALOG_TB - 5 < min)
	item->h = min;
else
	item->h = term->h * 2 / 3 - 2 * DIALOG_TB - 5;
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org