[links-list] Re: Graphical Links with extra features

aludal aludal at softhome.net
Fri Nov 29 15:58:35 PST 2002

Privet, Sergey!

> Would you be so kind to forward this post to the 'links-list' mailing
> list?
I most certainly will, that's a big contribution of yours, thanx a lot. On
second thought, you might post your very useful stuff to that
links-list at linuxfromscratch.org yourself directly, just register, and you've
done. The list has a limit of 60-80 kByte per post though, so longer hacks
are not allowed. Also, Cliff's Sourceforge workshop on Links might be a
better harbor for "unsolicited" hacks. Some of my questions and discussion
below, please.
> Thank you.
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> May be it will be interesting for someone in the light of your
> current discussions...
>
> I've added some features to links (just for my own everyday needs), but
> I'm too lazy to provide it as a patch for current version - I've hacked
> the code of links-2.1pre1, and then have added main changes (was there
> any serious change?..) from later releases to it...
>
> So, added features are:
>
> - Lua scripting - ported from Links-Lua, not from current elinks code, but
> 	the differences are not so sensitive, I hope.
Great!

> - HTTP Auth - stable, ported form Elinks
this one even greater feat! Czech guys might accept it in their main trunk.

> - Blocking of images - my own code ;-). You may block images containing
> 	given
> 	substring (of course, it is better to use regexps, but this way is
>         more portable). Just press '-' to edit the list of blocked
> patterns. Info is saved to main config file.
.....hmmm, not sure about this one. A (second) instance of non-graphical Links
could probably work better. Anyway, nice to see here a good feature available
mostly to the BIG browsers.

> - Cookies saving - simply saving, as I'm too lazy (and I really don't need
> 	it) to port from Elinks correct http header parsing...
....was there any problem with"plain" cookie saving, ever?

> - Possibility to open new windows instead of new links instances in
> graphics mode - new socket is created with name 'glinks' in links dir,
> instead of 'links' for text instances, so they can work independently.
Great! See above my proposition about imageless "links" instances.

> After that command 'links -g' works like 'mozilla -remote', simply opening
> new instances from currently running one. But it has some limitations -
> these new windows will open on the same display as original one... - Url
> copying - some code from Ludvik Tezar' patch, but the backend is organized
> more cleanly - there are two additional fields in struct graphics_driver -
> put_to_clipboard and get_from_clipboard. Only X11 backend is functional
> now, as I don't use others ;-)
Great! that toy must be included in the main trunk.

> - Some kind of selection for rendered text - it's just a quick hack really.
> Now it is possible to select-and-copy-to-clipboard text line-by-line - you
> just press left mouse button and move it over text parts (really - over
> g_object_text structures) you want. These parts are visually selected
> (invert style) of course during the selection. As the internal text
> representation is UTF-8, there is a config option (accessible through setup
> menu) to select codepage for clipboard. This sort of selection looks
> strange for the first time, but it works and is very useful sometimes. -
gotta have this one ASAP!

> Extended 'toolbar' - there are currently back '<-', reload 'R', bookmarks
> 'B' and kill-all-connections 'S' buttons. Last function has also a shortcut
> - 'a'. It kills ALL (not only background) connections.
Let's discuss this one in more detail, please.
You might have seen my attempt to propose a similar hack in the links-list
archives a while ago. The essence of it goes like this:
I need a navigation line consisting of (from left to right)
< [Back] - [emdash; Back history] X [Stop; maybe "S" could be useful, too, for
different levels of kills] - [emdash; Forward history] > [Forward] R [Reload;
Shift/Ctrl/Meta Reload clears cache, or something] H [Home] URL____________
[plain form for URL address' typein] Googlesearch______________________ [one
more form] Go! [a single button for both forms]. It seems quite logical to
me, to have this minimalist set of navigation controls. Also, I'd rather have
these controls referenced in the code NOT as "<-", ">" "S", etc. symbols, but
as their PNG images: 003d.png, etc. This one I need because I cut much nicer
navigation symbols than stock letters.

> Also, ugly
> 'classical' black-bar-on-white status bar was fixed ;-))
hehe.... good, too. Congrats!
On the status bar presentations: I believe the same hooks which produce
"on-hover" information in the status bar could be also used to change cursor
shape to a finger over a clickable link (I cut couple of fingers specially
for Links like couple months ago.... no progress so far).

> - Some small but useful improvements - support for <small> and <big> tags,
what are those doing, when supported?

> 	keybinding ("i") to turn on/off images, possibility to show HTTP
>         header ("|", as in Elinks)
> - Extended set of fonts - italic support for variable width fonts, and
> 	not-so-ugly-as-currently cyrillic characters set ;-)
I need to have a look at this one, as I have a set of my own cutting ;-)
Cliff and me are currently preparing a Do-It-Yourself Font-for-Links (ttf2png)
utility, so I hope we'll be better font-equipped soon than anything else.

> This hacked version of links is available at
> http://xray.sai.msu.ru/~karpov/tmp/links-2.1pre1-hacked.tgz
hacking against pre1 is somewhat puzzling me... Are the later Links
pre-releases really getting worse/less stable, or what?

> Hope it might be useful for someone else...
it certainly will.
Have a Russian Links icon (attached) for your effort, and have some
Zhigulyovskoye, too.

AU