[links-list] [ANNOUNCE] elinks-0.4pre19

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Fri Nov 29 07:01:03 PST 2002

Hello,

  more sweet stuff is coming along the way, with the usual exception of any
progress on 0.4.0 release goal, generalized options interface ;-)). Mainly,
you'll probably want the download resuming, altough it's not ideal yet.

  Options *WON'T* change anymore without breaking backwards compatibility (so,
if some option will relocate, alias will be kept in the previous place for some
time), unless something really shocking will happen.. ;-)

  Unfortunately, before release another thing should be done it looks -
currently, the SSL support is kind of er, plain; this gives user the False
Sense of Security, as we don't check if certificates are OK at all, we don't
allow to view them, we don't allow user to specify own SSL-related stuff etc.
And after talking with various people it looks that we should fix this ASAP.
If someone would help me with this, I'd be really glad.

  If this ELinks will crash to you, *PLEASE* let me know, with backtrace and
descrpition of the thing you did when it crashed, if possible (if you can
reproduce it, even better!).

  So, the main changes in elinks-0.4pre19 are:

* Fixed compilation on NetBSD
* Fixed terminal title support in multi-gnome-terminal and similiars
* Fixed OpenSSL support on systems w/o /dev/urandom
* Fixed leds update race
* Fixed cursor jumping when browsing inputbox history
* Fixed -lookup
* Fixed passive FTP6
* Fixed bookmarks movement saving, bookmarks searching
* Fixed several problems with external textarea editor
* Fixed some problems with [] in URL
* Fixed detection of libgpm, libz, libbz2, lua on debian (!#$!%*@$!^)
* Fixed occassional garbage popping up at some compressed pages
* Menus aren't cycling anymore; it was terrible for menus taller than screen

* Download resuming support (triggered by pressing 'r' by now)
  Note that this may sometimes lead to segfaults, especially in FTP code; please
  tell us if you'll stumble upon any problem; the segfault may occur not neccessarily
  after resuming a download
* We may not cache things with Cache-Control: no-cache header; tunable by
  document.cache.ignore_cache_control
* Enhanced FTP directory listing

* Various optimalizations and speedups
* Established doc/, some documentation there; updated manpages
* We are more strict about some NULLs flying around etc; please report any issue
* Potentially enhance portability to some really old systems

* Forward/backward history fixes
* More lynx-like keybindings : x, {, }
* Be more patient when we run out of memory; try three times in one second interval
* Try .gz, .bz2 etc if filename itself doesn't exist (local files only); tunable by
  protocol.file.try_encoding_extensions
* -dump-charset, -dump-width
* add-bookmark-link action support, by default bound to 'A'
* Kibi and Mebi support (KiB and MiB units)
* Lua default hooks enhancements
* Arcane session-rings support
* The bookmarks dialog is now as large as possible

* Ukrainian translation updates
* Italian translation updates
* Polish translation updates
* Russian translation updates
* Italian translation updates
* French translation updates

  Please see ChangeLog for full list of changes and credits (together with
AUTHORS).

  As usual, the ELinks itself may be now found at http://elinks.or.cz/.

PS: Again, you're welcomed to join #elinks at irc.openprojects.net, if you
want to see ELinks developers alive! :)

PPS: Please use

$ cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.elinks.or.cz:/var/cvs/elinks co elinks

for getting CVS version of ELinks from now. It's rsync'd each 15 mins.

  Still happy cores generating and bugs reporting,

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.
> I don't know why people still want ACL's. There were noises about them for
> samba, but I'v enot heard anything since. Are vendors using this?
Because People Are Stupid(tm).  Because it's cheaper to put "ACL support: yes"
in the feature list under "Security" than to make sure than userland can cope
with anything more complex than  "Me Og.  Og see directory.  Directory Og's.
Nobody change it".  C.f. snake oil, P.T.Barnum and esp. LSM users
        -- Al Viro
.
Crap: http://pasky.ji.cz/
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org