[links-list] Re: New version of 'Links now!' button

aludal aludal at softhome.net
Wed Nov 27 15:43:40 PST 2002

> * aludal <aludal at softhome.net> wrote:
> > 1. Left part ("L" logo) won't go nicely with the right part: it's
> > with colors, whereas 'Links now' part is monochrome, and good for
> > PDA's & other mobile crap.
>
> Does anybody use such thingies to surf the web with graphics enabled?
> Sounds alien to me...
First such alien is you yourself, as you offering to surf the Web to the Links
site by clicking on your button. As for surfing the Web with graphics
enabled, it might be yes, of no value for say, blind people. Colorblind folks
or kids with cheapo monochrome PDAs/TabletPC's/mobile phones could possibly
see some merit in nice graphics which looks good enough even in monochrome.

> > So, I'd rather chopped that one in two.
>
> Isn't there some laws that prohibit ripping?
> O 8->
yes, there are some. They prohibit to use my "Links" vignette as well as
original "L" button in your "combined" button virtually unchanged
("choppable")

> > 2. If you'd prefer to keep the old logo there still
>
> I wasn't too hapy with two 'L's. I'd prefer just one
>
> > then you may want to make it more expressive, sort of. Take "L"
> > from my logo (attached), cast shadows on the background like you
> > did on the German flag, remember?
>
> Hmm. Don't you expect legal issues with Monty Python? The L's shape
> strongly ressembles their famous foot...
that would be very hard to prove.

> > 3. Tit for tat: could you please grep this string '<-'  (to be)
> > printed on the screen in the links sources for me?
>
> Elementary: That string is printed *nowhere*. Line 958 of "view_gr.c"
> reads:
>
> g_print_text(drv, dev, 0, 0, bfu_style_bw, " <- ", &z);
>
> Obviously the string printed is ' <- ', not '<-' >;->
Now we need to do some serious tweaking here....
1) First question: could line 958 be rewritten in the manner that it includes
003c.png and 002d.png (i.e., "<" and "-") directly? I need to re-direct this
print to much nicer "Back" arrow.
2) Then, some finer code hacking is needed around that place in the code: I
need functions of "Stop", "Forward", "Reload", "Home", "Back History",
"Forward History", "Search (in current page)" added as similar "prints".

> Little know facts about UNIX: The name of the 'grep' game.
> In ed 'g/re/p' means "globally search for regular expression 're' and
> print line". ex is extended ed and vi is a shortcut for starting ex
> and then starting the visual (full-screen) mode by entering vi (or
> 'visual' if you are a typophile). In other words: You can grep
> without 'grep' :-)
yeah, and even more little known fact about UNIX is that I've got me a good
copy of that famous "UNIX Hater's" book with Barf Bag intact just three weeks
ago. And it's Silicon Valley all around me!

> > 4. Also, I'm trying to pinpoint a bug producing * (asterisk) in
> > place of many different quote signs (") and apostrophes ('). It
> > looks like faulty codepage translation to me, or something. Did you
> > ever noticed that type of rendering in Links, or could you help me
> > on this one, too?
>
> Straight quotation signs and ordinary apostrophs? No. Problems arise
> with Web pages that use typographic quotation marks and use accents
> in place of apostrophs. This typically happens on Web pages that
> have been optimized for the Internet Exploiter remote administration
> toolkit shipped with Windows (don't confuse this with the 'Outlook
> Express' flamewar starting tool that also has built-in remote
> administration capabilities). It also happens with some broken German
> keyboard layouts that are not DIN compliant (I became aware of this
> because some machine didn't accept my password - it happened to
> contain an apostroph - the only machine that was supposed to have
> German keyboard layout didn't have it...)
Now try to see it this way: with Links more or less Unicode-capable, it's just
small additions to relevant (and obsolete) coding tables, to find good emdash
and correct apostrophes in place.

Prosit!
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org