[links-list] Few fixes of copy/paste in links -g under X11

Ludvik Tesar tesar at mee.tcd.ie
Mon Nov 25 14:22:35 PST 2002

Hi everybody,

I have already sent some patch adressing copying in links -g under X11.
Now, I fixed also pasting and I am sending patch of links-2.1pre7 for both
these things together. Petr Kulhavy wrote me, that he have taken my
previous patch, and it will appear in the next "pre" release. Because this
patch is superset of the previous patch, I thing he might have
difficulties to apply the new patch, once the previous one is included.
It is why, I am going to produce the new patch for the new version, as
soon as it appears. However, if somebody wants to have these features in
pre7 already, then they are welcome to use it.

It patches against links-2.1pre7

Patch location: http://papabois.mee.tcd.ie/~tesar/links-lt217new.diff

Recommended way to use it:

tar -xzf links-2.1pre7.tar.gz
patch -p0 <links-lt217new.diff
cd links-2.1pre7/intl
./synclang
cd ..
./configure --enable-javascript --enable-graphics
make
./links -g

Issues fixed by this patch:

1) Implemented clipboard manipulation functions (copy/paste) for X
Windows. Clipboard starts to work everywhere where links make use of it:
Up to now it is only copying and pasting into forms and dialogs. (Already
existing) shortcuts are Ctrl-Z and Ctrl-V,the other shortcuts Ctrl-Ins
and Shift-Ins unfortunately do not work in X Windows.
Full text selection of html-rendered document is still not working.

2) added support for copying of current URL and URL of the link into
clipboard.
Usage: from menu choose "File"->"Copy URL location"; click on the link
by the right-hand side button and select "Copy link location".
Makes sense only in XWindows and in OS/2 where clipboard manipulation
is implemented. But I was not able to test it in OS/2, so I did not activate
it there, not to make some mess.

3) fixed pasting into forms and dialogs (fixed for all platforms which
have copy/paste implemented, not only in X Windows). Previously it was
overwriting the whole form item or whole the text of dialog, now it is
inserting the clipboard contents onto the cursor position.
The shortcut is: Ctrl-V. Also there is shortcut Shift-Ins, which
does not work in X Windows.

4) removed broken old-style support for pasting in X Windows. The problem
was, that it was pasting on the low-level, i.e. pasted letters might
be interpreted as shortcuts in links making complete mess in links setup.
Desired behaviour is to paste in forms and dialogs only. So,
Shift-Middle-Mouse-Button generates Ctrl-V now, which
is correctly interpreted in bfu.c and view.c.

Enjoy,

Ludvik

--
Ludvik Tesar
Dept. of Electronic & Electrical Engineering,
E-mail: tesar at mee.tcd.ie
Tel. +353-1-6083818   Fax. +353-1-6772442

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org