[links-list] Re: development ideas [type-ahead find]

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Sun Nov 24 00:36:07 PST 2002

I would be nice to have 'm' as a prefix character for Mozilla-style
type-ahead find.  This would be compatible with the info program.

More generally, it would be nice to retire the info file format
as well as the info program.  info is the old GNU documentation
browser that uses the info file format, which is generated from
a texinfo file using makeinfo.  Note I'm not talking about
necessarily dropping the texinfo format, but having it generate
html instead - which is alredy implemented and widely used.

One virtue that the info program has over a browers like links
is that info has a convenient user interface for both browsing
*and* sequential reading.  links is nice, but for browsing
manuals info is nicer.  However, I don't think it would take
much to surpass info.

I suggest taking some texinfo manual "foo.texi", and try comparing:
(1) generate "foo.info" using 'makeinfo' and browsing it with 'info'.
(2) generate "foo/*.html" using 'makeinfo --html' and browsing the
result with links.

Implementing type-ahead find with an 'm' prefix would solve one problem.
Another issue is sequential reading, from one "chapter" to the next.
That is basically a matter of implementing the key 'n' to select the
link with "rel=next" and 'p' to select the link with "rel=previous" and
'u' to select "rel=up".  (This might conflict with existing keybindings,
of course.)
--
	--Per Bothner
per at bothner.com   http://www.bothner.com/per/