[links-list] Re: Links icons

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt jupp at gmx.de
Tue Nov 19 07:58:16 PST 2002

* On 2002-11-19 13:33
* aludal <aludal at softhome.net> wrote:
> hehe..... But alas, it's everywhere in the Links as undefined
> backgound. And nobody seems to find where was it hardwired in the
> first place. Actually, it's very weird: you can change the color of
> your scrolling slider, but not that Scheissensoldatengrau. Nobody
> cares, either.

I'll try to find it...

> But I like my Russischkaliforniensilikonentaldeutsch better: it
> produces such Ueberworten nobody can read.

'Silikon' is a material used for breast enlargement, 'Silizium' is
used to built computers (gives carpet a bite).

> That was a natural Links-promotional joke: if Links can render a page,
> anything else can, too, it's obvious.

Support our <pre> campaing. Only if telnet on port 80 can render it,
anything can, too.

> > a) isn't true (text better displays in *elinks*)
> eh-eh-eh! why and where is that? what exactly makes elinks
> reproduce better text, tell me? Except for choice of more or less
> ugly monospace? Even on a letter's outline border level, I don't
> see any advantages.

In text mode, links does render links in bold face that makes some of
my pages look *really* awful.

> that's boring obvious.

My pages only contain what I am interested in. I absolutely don't
care if other people like my pages.

> You just use "LATIN LETTER ALVEOLAR CLICK" (absolutely officially
> un-verboten Unicode character) on your page coupla times, and no
> other browser can render it right but Links.

I did grep all pages using pattern '[^\t -~]'. Found literal
soft-hyphen in some HTMLified man pages. I didn't see them while
converting the man page, they have now been replaced by minus signs.
Found non-ASCII characters in page where I recommend the dutch
keyboard map. They are present on purpose; charset=iso-8859-15 is
given and correct. Found non-ASCII characters in nmap documentation -
I don't want to touch those pages.

So what are you talking about? I expect that modern browsers support
encoded (Ӓ) Unicode. Besides that, the charset pages mainly
exist for testing purposes - to see what characters are supported by
a certain browser.

I don't see any rendering problems in lynx 2.8.4rel1 as well.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
Web: http://jupp.tux.nu/     __..--""""""""""""--..__     jupp at gmx.de
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org