[links-list] Re: fonts fonts fonts .... why not draw them ?

aludal aludal at softhome.net
Fri Nov 15 03:08:24 PST 2002

 Hi, Cliff:
> > > For a simplicity of what I have in mind, per sang, I'd use Titus
> > > TrueType below:
> > > 1) #tt2png -<some-option(s)> tituscbz.ttf
> > > should produce a set of 7000+ (user-adjustable, framed) PNG files of
> > > sizes varying approximately in 60x100 pixels area (size depending on
> > > user-adjustable 4 corners of "x" base size, plus user-adjustable
> > > framewidths (for hinting/kerning/leading);
>
> Maybe you can get some mileage out of convert(1) (ImageMagick util).
>
> There is a hint of how to convert ttf2png at:
>
> http://studio.imagemagick.org/pipermail/magick-bugs/2002-February/000031.ht
>ml
>
>     (see also "Next message" link at bottom of page)
well, thank you for a good hint.... Looks promising, but in all fairness, I
didn't like the words "almost able". You see, I talked to PfaEdit's George
Williams a while ago on this very issue. He even made a new release of his
fine type designer, this time capable of dumping the whole (TT) font into a
set of PNGs.  Sounds good? Well, not enough. His converting routine and
scripting language were incapable of preserving baseline, leadings, hints,
kerns, or some other reference points of a given outline: PNG is too generic
a format for that. His suggestion was to try BDF as originals, or consider
producing  set of metrics tables together with a set of PNGs, for
post-production adjustments. I don't know.... I'm just recutting bolds,
finishing monospace, preparing to start cutting italics -- all by hand so
far. Also, I sensed some doubt that "convert" could even preview TTF, let
alone produce some practicable, clean PNGs of say, complex CJK glyphs (or
even a "Cyrillic Letter ZHE" in that case...). Want to convince me that I'm
too sceptic? Try and write convert-based script yourself, while I remain a
simple feder-und-stichel cutter.
Besides, there is one aspiring genius rasterizer called Reinoud on this list.
He seemed to me wishing to beat the terrible and magnificent Fontfusionist
Sampo Kaasila,  with a product of his Reinoud's manufacture, per sang. Well,
before that happens, it would be great that you two guys do a joint effort on
ttf2png. I'd better stick to my stichel, meanwhile.

> Wrap your standard args in a sh script and call it tt2png.
We could call it Reinoud-Cunnington Algorithm (RCA, hehe...). Seriously
enough, here in US there's a shitload of legal issues when using Apple hinter
and a commercial TTF/Type1 font in a GPL(ed) distro. However, unless you use
~3000x5000 grid, Links PNG rendition of a good non-free font might be a too
laughable a joke, to constitute a case of copyright/patent infringement.

> Or is this too simple a solution? ;-)
like I said: dunno.

Privet!
AU

--- Say NYET to the .NET! Say NYET to Osama Bill Gates! ---
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org