[links-list] Re: Fonts.... grey background

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Thu Nov 14 15:24:19 PST 2002

Dear diary, on Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:03:55PM CET, I got a letter,
where Josef 'Jupp' Schugt <jupp at gmx.de> told me, that...
> * On 2002-11-14 19:45
> * aludal <aludal at softhome.net> wrote:
> > As per now, Links defaults to bolds when stumbles on italics on a
> > Web page, right?
>
> Many pages don't use physical '<i>' but logical '<em>'.
>
> Rendering '<em>' as bold is okay, because emphasized text is not
> necessarily text in italics.

some divergence especially between <em> and <strong>.

> I don't know of many browsers incorrectly render '<i>'. If physical
> layout information says the browser must use *italics* it is
> inappropriate to use a *slanted* font instead (as many browsers do) -
> italics is more than simply a slanted version of a font.

Well on web, you usually don't care that much as on paper. And if you do,
you're already using CSS anyway, IMHO.

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.