[links-list] Re: Fonts.... grey background

aludal aludal at softhome.net
Thu Nov 14 15:20:21 PST 2002

> * aludal <aludal at softhome.net> wrote:
> > As per now, Links defaults to bolds when stumbles on italics on a
> > Web page, right?
>
> Many pages don't use physical '<i>' but logical '<em>'.
Well, let 'em do it their way. Bolds to render <em> are present in Links
current distro, whereas explicit <i> defaults to bolds. Which is not so good
for a respectable browser.

> Rendering '<em>' as bold is okay, because emphasized text is not
> necessarily text in italics.
Sehr gut, I'm with you on that.

> I don't know of many browsers incorrectly render '<i>'. If physical
> layout information says the browser must use *italics* it is
> inappropriate to use a *slanted* font instead (as many browsers do) -
> italics is more than simply a slanted version of a font.
Glad you've noticed this hairline thin difference. It's one fast and dirty
trick to render "oblique" out of an original roman font, and a completely
different mammoth work of cutting (Century-, or Titus-compatible) *true*
italics, either of "cursive", or of "chancery" variances.

> > Once again: I want to change the default ("undefined") dirty grey
> > background in Links to something nicer, if not user-adjustable just
> > yet. Where in Links sources do I need to search, what a "keyword"
> > do I need to look for a certain code line(s), so I can tweak it
> > myself?
>
> IMHO it makes more sense if Links supports some standard X options:
>
> -bg color, -background color
>     Either option specifies the color to use for the window
>     background.
>
> -bd color, -bordercolor color
>     Either option specifies the color to use for the window border.
>
> -fg color, -foreground color
>     Either option specifies the color to use for text or graphics.
>
> -bg for background color of main area, -bd for background color of
> the two small areas at top/bottom, -fg for both (restriction to only
> one font color is intended).
...yeah, they've missed window -bg out somewhere, somehow...

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org