[links-list] Re: Fonts.... grey background

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt jupp at gmx.de
Thu Nov 14 14:03:55 PST 2002

* On 2002-11-14 19:45
* aludal <aludal at softhome.net> wrote:
> As per now, Links defaults to bolds when stumbles on italics on a
> Web page, right?

Many pages don't use physical '<i>' but logical '<em>'.

Rendering '<em>' as bold is okay, because emphasized text is not
necessarily text in italics.

I don't know of many browsers incorrectly render '<i>'. If physical
layout information says the browser must use *italics* it is
inappropriate to use a *slanted* font instead (as many browsers do) -
italics is more than simply a slanted version of a font.

> Once again: I want to change the default ("undefined") dirty grey
> background in Links to something nicer, if not user-adjustable just
> yet. Where in Links sources do I need to search, what a "keyword"
> do I need to look for a certain code line(s), so I can tweak it
> myself?

IMHO it makes more sense if Links supports some standard X options:

-bg color, -background color
    Either option specifies the color to use for the window
    background.

-bd color, -bordercolor color
    Either option specifies the color to use for the window border.

-fg color, -foreground color
    Either option specifies the color to use for text or graphics.

-bg for background color of main area, -bd for background color of
the two small areas at top/bottom, -fg for both (restriction to only
one font color is intended).

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
Web: http://jupp.tux.nu/       __..--""""""--..__         jupp at gmx.de