[links-list] [ADMIN] Re: Significant font redesign; Unicode additions

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Wed Nov 13 12:55:39 PST 2002

Dear diary, on Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:46:23PM CET, I got a letter,
where aludal <aludal at softhome.net> told me, that...
> ? ????????? ?? 13 ?????? 2002 05:27 ?? ????????:
> > Hi!
> >
> > * On 2002-11-13 13:18
> >
> > * aludal <aludal at softhome.net> wrote:
> > > Attached is a big release
> >
> > 'Big' and 'attached' is a contradiction on mailing lists. Please
> > don't send large files via mail but make them available online (there
> > is lots of free web space all around the world). To put it this way:
> > You ware only a few kilobyte from my auto-download limit. Larger
> > mails are only downloaded after inspection...
> Oh yes, I checked first: this particular list (as my SVLUG, CABAL &c. default
> limits lists) has a limit of 0.5 MByte for address+cc+letter+attachment data.
> My release is well below this limit. And it went through and got posted, even
> with your self-imposed limit. So what's your problem? My next releases: a
> very big monospace, then a huge, completely new italics set would be over any
> limit, sure. Please keep your concerns with you till then. As for free
> webspace elsewhere, I'd rather have it for flames and feature requests (to be
> better ignored by our Czech authors).
>
> > I could have sent my 80 kilobyte patch to the list. Imagine why I
> > didn't...
> .... and what was there we now are getting without thanks to your modesty?

Please don't be so harsh, people.

There are people out there for whose anything more than 0.5 MByte can be indeed
a serious problem, especially if they have a poor line (modem) and they pay for
time (modem; Europe). Thus, I think that a limit of 60kb per mail would be
reasonable - if it's *that* big, people who are really interested in it can
easily get it thru web, so why not to send a link instead?

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org