[links-list] Re: font problem and fix

Reinoud buzztoh at 13thmonkey.org
Sun Nov 10 16:18:01 PST 2002

Hiya folks,

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 03:19:27PM -0800, aludal wrote:
> > > good hinting capabilities over a wide range of screen resolutions
> > > (unlike, say, M$ Times New Roman, Monotype, or Adobe Times, etc)
> >
> > I do not support any hinting as it would require ambedding a font
> > interpreter into the browser. And font interpreter is too complicated
> > thing to ever work reliably. Second, making a new PNG is easy (you just
> > take GIMP). I don't know how to make new glyph in TT and existing fonts
> > are usually copyright-burdened so they are useless.
> you don't need to support hinting, all I was saying is that conversion of a
> (TT, Type1, and the like vector/curves) outline could be made with good pixel
> grid fit (i.e., good hinting) or with a bad one.

i made a fontrenderer myself recemtly and honestly hinting is only
nessisary when your anti-aliasing is sloppy and with small pointtypes.. the
pointtypes used in links are surely big enough not to be bothered with it
:)

> On "easyness" of making a new PNG: are you telling me you drew all the
> outlines of Century School BT (by the way, ITC, or Agfa/Lynotype copyrighted,
> can't tell exactly which foundry as ~100by55 PNG files lost that fine
> distinctions) right out of your head, on the blank field? I somehow doubt it.
> And yes, using GIMP for this is easy, I agree. When you want to produce one,
> or two, or even 200 PNGs, one by one.

I think the script uses `ghostscript' for character generators and
anti-aliasing.

> capable of producing PNGs, one by one, out of TT font. As long as in your
> work you haven't access to, and didn't use so called Master outlines of a
> given font, but merely used their TT renditions, then retouched your
> resulting PNGs  manually, it's not copyrighted font anymore. It's your font
> now (BTW, you'd better remove that dir names like "century_school*" from the
> Links releases unless you paid to ITC around $50K for use of their
> copyrighted stuff in unlimited distributions.

Hmm... not TT fonts but is Type1 good enough :) ?

Cheers,
Reinoud

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org