[links-list] Re: font problem and fix

Karel Kulhavy clock at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Sun Nov 10 14:26:12 PST 2002

> Some size reduction can be achieved by using .bmp.bz2. Saves about
> 40 percent compared to PNGs while decompressing bz2 is about as fast
> as decompressing PNG. Plus: It is hard to find any software is not
> capable of writing BMPs.
>
> For distribution purposes the source uncompressed BMPs are better
> because bzip2 is a block-sorting compressor that has better
> efficiency if it is supplied with large chunks of not-too-different
> data. So bzip2 on the tarball is more efficient than bzip2 on each
> single file.

What are you effectively saying here is that PNG folks haven't made it
the optimum way. PNG is meant to be a portable network graphics and
is highly standardized. It should be added as an compression option into
PNG.

Can you tell me which RFC describes the BMP format?

--
Karel 'Clock' Kulhavy
|Software Developer                                             Chief Developer|
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org