[links-list] Re: font problem and fix

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt jupp at gmx.de
Sun Nov 10 13:00:39 PST 2002

* On 2002-11-10 18:27
* aludal <aludal at softhome.net> wrote:
> klingon stays outside this bloated Links release.

Klingons use the Klingon writing system but Marc Okrand does use the
Federation writing system. (AFAIK that would be "tlhIngan maH
(tlhIngan) pIqaD lo' 'ach Marc Okrand DIvI' pIqaD lo'" in Klingon.
Actually there are only few differences between the Klingon and
Federation writing system: The only differences are that four pIqaD
letters map to several Federation letters ("ch", "gh", "ng", "tlh").

Actually most Klingons (at least those of the important houses) are
capable of reading Klingon that is written with ASCII letters.
Situation is very similar to that of German special characters:
Germans don't have problems if you replace ä (ö, ü,
Ä, Ö, Ü) by ae (oe, ue, Ae, Oe, Ue) and only little
ones if you use the corresponding unaccented vowels a (o, u, A, O,
U). Use of ss in place of ß is perfectly acceptable. German
speaking part of Switzerland actually doesn't use ß any more.

> well, that would be beautiful, but remember there's no single
> Links-readable font of that scope exist yet. When it become
> available (as a set of ~50000 png files, I'm afraid) I wish I had a
> machine with at least 2 Gig of RAM and P4 @4 GHz, to see Links
> working fast enough.

Some size reduction can be achieved by using .bmp.bz2. Saves about
40 percent compared to PNGs while decompressing bz2 is about as fast
as decompressing PNG. Plus: It is hard to find any software is not
capable of writing BMPs.

For distribution purposes the source uncompressed BMPs are better
because bzip2 is a block-sorting compressor that has better
efficiency if it is supplied with large chunks of not-too-different
data. So bzip2 on the tarball is more efficient than bzip2 on each
single file.

>> Using Kana only actually makes sense.
[KAKASI stuff deleted.]
> well, it sounds like a substitute to me, a substute for a real thing.

Actually it isn't. Actually learing Japanese is very hard. One would
typically start learning Hiragana and Katakana (Japanese children do
that as well). A software that is capable of transforming Japanese
web pages into Kana would be helpful for learners of Japanese because
they can practice Japanese well before they know enough Kanji for
ordinary texts. This means gaijin (people from outside Japan) as well
as Japanese children... ;->

>>> Unsere Rosie macht uns Hosie, by that development.
> I'm a former Muscovite, a Californian now, never lived in any
> "south" state for a prolonged time. Or did you mean ein suedliches
> Bundesland?

Bavaria to be more precise. The saying sounds as if it is a Bavarian
(the 'south state' is an allusion, people from Bavaria are often hard
to understand...)

>> DOS/Win? Don't yaw!
> any more symbols below 0401 missing, eh?

You mean the 'DOS/Win? Don't yaw!"? 'yaw' means 'to deviate from the
course' - it's a nautical term... Besides that it has a second
meaning: Try reading it aloud :->

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
Web: http://jupp.tux.nu/                           mailto:jupp at gmx.de
B.U.f.H. (Bastard user from hell): "Berserk Panic HOWTO"
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org