[links-list] Re: font problem and fix

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Sun Nov 10 04:36:01 PST 2002

Dear diary, on Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 09:14:24AM CET, I got a letter,
where Karel Kulhavy <clock at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> told me, that...
> > > A sumo package could be provided for people who actually need all
> > > that stuff.
> > well, that would be beautiful, but remember there's no single Links-readable
> > font of that scope exist yet. When it become available (as a set of ~50000
> > png files, I'm afraid) I wish I had a machine with at least 2 Gig of RAM and
>
> As the 50000 files are in the executable binary and are memory mapped by
> the kernel and subject to fast page thow-away and rereading from the
> disk (instead of swapping off and swapping on), and there is a LRU font
> cache, Links performance will hardly differ with 2000 PNG files or 50000
> PNG files.
>
> They are not loaded into memory. The only think you stuff up is your
> disk and in today's world of 100G disks, 50000 PNG's is not a problem.

In today's world modem is still overly common mean of internet connection.
Also, with its speed, size and support for fb and svgalib, Links can be
excellent choice for embedded market and poor machines in common - and from
what I observe, it is indeed frequently used so. However, such machines usually
aren't equipped with 100G disks ;-).

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.