[links-list] Re: font problem and fix

aludal aludal at softhome.net
Sat Nov 9 20:01:27 PST 2002

В сообщении от 9 Ноябрь 2002 13:09 вы написали:
> * On 2002-11-09 20:17
>
> * aludal <aludal at softhome.net> wrote:
> >> Even after bzip2 the tar (that only contains the graphics I did
> >> convert in their respective directories relative to
> >> links-2.1pre7/graphics) is still more than 80 K.
> >
> > Oh yeah.... Imagine a more or less complete Unicode of pngs, to
> > deal with: actually, 4 full sets of serifs (roman, bold, italics,
> > bold italics) + 4 more of the same for sans with each set of ~7300
> > glyphs, plus "serifed" and "sans" CJK etc., ~27000 glyphs in each.
>
> It's CJKV as in Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese ;-)
>
> That would not be *that* complicated. IMHO standard links should not
> contain *any* characters but ISO-8859 and Co. (all the simple
> European alphabets).
Yeah, well: that's what I meant by 8 times ~7300 glyphs: around 60 MB for this
png mess only, as CJKV and whatever klingon stays outside this bloated Links
release. All I was saying was TrueType (or even bdf) single-file fonts became
more economical than png sets with alphabets more than ~700 glyphs.
Now the real question is who's gonna do anything about this development? I'm
idle on starting italics (both Latin and non-Latin) because I don't see any
direction where Links goes in this department.

> We could then have ad-ons for what people actually need:
>
>  - Kana (Hiragana and Katakana; this makes sense, see below).
>  - Kanji
>  - Chinese
>  - Simplified Chinese
>  - Hangul
>  - whatever
>
> A sumo package could be provided for people who actually need all
> that stuff.
well, that would be beautiful, but remember there's no single Links-readable
font of that scope exist yet. When it become available (as a set of ~50000
png files, I'm afraid) I wish I had a machine with at least 2 Gig of RAM and
P4 @4 GHz, to see Links working fast enough.

> Using Kana only actually makes sense. Christian Garbs - mitch (AT)
> cgarbs (DOT) de - did write 'japana', a Kanji translating proxy
> written in Perl that uses 'Text::Kakasi' and the 'KAKASI' library.
>
> It seems to be quite simple to make 'japana' produce furigana output
> instead of Romaji. I'll report if that actually works. Otherwise I'll
> try to write a proxy of my own using Ruby. License is no problem,
> 'japana', 'Text:Kakasi' and 'KAKASI' are all GPL 2.
well, it sounds like a substitute to me, a substute for a real thing.

> > Unsere Rosie macht uns Hosie, by that development.
>
> Whatever that is intended to mean (could be some south state
> dialecti ;-).
I'm a former Muscovite, a Californian now, never lived in any "south" state
for a prolonged time. Or did you mean ein suedliches Bundesland?

If there would be no (optional) support of either bdf, or TrueType/freetype2
in Links, there's no industry future for Links: preferrably in PDAs, Tablet
PC, kiosks, Internet appliances and other lean/embedded framebuffer devices.
That's what I meant (and what was an exact spelling of that good old German
saying?)

> DOS/Win? Don't yaw!
any more symbols below 0401 missing, eh?
AU
> Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--- Arbeit macht frei Software ---
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org