[links-list] Re: font problem and fix

David Mediavilla r96x6a79yki40001 at sneakemail.com
Sat Nov 9 15:13:16 PST 2002

Petr Baudis escribió:
> Dear diary, on Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 09:26:34AM CET, I got a letter,
> where clock at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz told me, that...

> > > development. Time to switch to xft/freetype2 support, really.
> >
> > It doesn't work on
> > OS/2 PMShell
>
> I think that OS/2 must have some font managment as well, haven't it? It's
> impossible to access it with PMShell programs?

	I explained what I know in another message.

> I'm not saying "remove the fonts you're including now". I think it would be
> probably more feasible to provide the internal fonts as a fallback and use
> something else if possible (and if user doesn't say "use internal fonts"), as
[...]
> able to download only the core and use the fonts they already have).. Ok, you
> will maybe loose antialiasing (it's probably not being done at run time,
> dunno).  But again, users who will want to have antialiasing will just choose
> internal fonts, while those who rather care about complete fonts and/or size of
> the tarball they are going to download will choose the external fonts support.

	I would have said "make it user-selectable", but yesterday I read in
"Why Free Software usability tends to suck"
http://mpt.phrasewise.com/2002/04/13#a173 :

<MPT>
As in a professional project, in a volunteer project there will be times
when the contributors disagree on a design issue. Where contributors are
paid to work on something, they have an incentive to carry on even if
they disagree with the design. Where volunteers are involved, however,
its much more likely that the project maintainer will agree to add a
user preference for the issue in question, in return for the continued
efforts of that contributor. The number, obscurity, and triviality of
such preferences ends up confusing ordinary users immensely, while
everyone is penalized by the resulting bloat and reduced thoroughness of
testing.
</MPT>

--
	David Mediavilla Ezquibela