[links-list] Re: font problem and fix

Karel Kulhavy clock at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Sat Nov 9 06:57:50 PST 2002

> > able to download only the core and use the fonts they already
> > have).. Ok, you will maybe loose antialiasing (it's probably not
> > being done at run time, dunno).  But again, users who will want to
> > have antialiasing will just choose internal fonts, while those who
> > rather care about complete fonts and/or size of the tarball they are
> > going to download will choose the external fonts support.
>
> I'd even go so far to say drop the internal fonts. The rendering
> quality you get from FreeType2 is in my opinion much superior to the
> internal font rendering.

Is it alpha-resampled (antialiased)? And by this I don't mean that
additional blurring of already botched fonts some people imagine under
antialiasing, I mean true resampling, which comes by resampling from 16
times bigger resolution down.

Does it have adaptive convolution preemphasis so that smaller letters
are contrast-enhanced to compensate for eye's internal spatial frequency
chracteristic?

Is it based on physically correct linear luminous model, not just
"we put the data into that telly and it shows up somehow"? Do those
FreeType renderers have gamma calibration that is easily accessible?

Do those FreeType renderers support LCD optimization? Maybe in future
I'll implement monitor bandwidth compensation (something like
Monitor cutoff [pixels] __________
CRT gamma ________
Cutoff type [X] 1-pole (6dB/oct.)
            [ ] 2-pole (12dB/oct.)
)
into Links to get the
letters even more sharp. Are they prepared to support such thing?

Do TrueType font renderers work reliably also on 16- and 256-colour
displays by appropriate dithering? Do they dither on 15- and 16- bit
displays to move the quantization noise into spatial spectral regions
to which the eye is less sensitive?

Are they able to run at high interline pixel pitches without performance
loss? This is very handy for slide presentation, you just take some
HTML and Links, click up some big letters and image magnification, calibrate to
your LCD projector, and are able to start lecture. If someone cries from
the back that his glasses are not thick enough, you just reconfigure the
line pitch to a bigger one and continue. This will crash poorly written
TT implementation due to font cache overflow (Links runs on LRU
here).

As soon as all the question will result in "Yes" on all platforms Links
supports, I'll start thinking about adding TrueType font renderer among
the graphics primitives.

--
Karel 'Clock' Kulhavy
|Software Developer                                             Chief Developer|
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org