[links-list] Re: font problem and fix

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Sat Nov 9 04:02:54 PST 2002

Dear diary, on Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 09:26:34AM CET, I got a letter,
where clock at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz told me, that...
> > > Even after bzip2 the tar (that only contains the graphics I did
> > > convert in their respective directories relative to
> > > links-2.1pre7/graphics) is still more than 80 K.
> > Oh yeah.... Imagine a more or less complete Unicode of pngs, to deal with:
> > actually, 4 full sets of serifs (roman, bold, italics, bold italics) + 4 more
> > of the same for sans with each set of ~7300 glyphs, plus "serifed" and "sans"
> > CJK etc., ~27000 glyphs in each. Tar.bz2 bugfix release of this would well
> > weigh that side of 100 MByte. Unsere Rosie macht uns Hosie, by that
> > development. Time to switch to xft/freetype2 support, really.
>
> It doesn't work on
> svgalib-only machines
> framebuffer-only machines

These two can use freetype2 just fine - freetype2 isn't bound to X in any way.
Ie. my graphviz uses freetype2 for generating pngs and so on.

> OS/2 PMShell

I think that OS/2 must have some font managment as well, haven't it? It's
impossible to access it with PMShell programs?

I'm not saying "remove the fonts you're including now". I think it would be
probably more feasible to provide the internal fonts as a fallback and use
something else if possible (and if user doesn't say "use internal fonts"), as
the "something else" will most probably have much more complete fonts
available. You should only gain here - your fonts support will improve a lot,
users won't loose anything except bandwidth (since you could make the internal
fonts an external packages, thus people with thin line (modem people) will be
able to download only the core and use the fonts they already have).. Ok, you
will maybe loose antialiasing (it's probably not being done at run time,
dunno).  But again, users who will want to have antialiasing will just choose
internal fonts, while those who rather care about complete fonts and/or size of
the tarball they are going to download will choose the external fonts support.

I just wanted to defend that line of opinions and possibly extend the
argumentation. And possibly provide motivation for someone who would like to
code it, since I'm certainly not the one who will do that ;-).

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org