[links-list] Re: font problem and fix

aludal aludal at softhome.net
Sat Nov 9 01:54:07 PST 2002

В сообщении от 9 Ноябрь 2002 01:23 вы написали:
> > > It doesn't work on
> > > svgalib-only machines
> >
> > bdf (ready-made) or other bitmapped Unicode fonts then, maybe, for those
> > poor bastards? A fallback font for the rest...
>
> Those are not poor bastards. I use Links on svgalib routinely and my
> friend upgraded X Server and it stopped working so he is using
> framebuffer
> routinely now.
yeah, I was wrong: these are not poor bastards, these are mainly bastards who
own PDAs. I've seen one pretty good toy in San Francisco at the last
Linuxworldexpo: Qt/framebuffer Zaurus. Konqueror on this toy (WiFi upto
1.5Mb/s) was like a fly got into honey: pretty slow on 64 MB ARM machine.
Links could be a king of browsers in this HUGE market. Just make
authorization/javascript/java support complete (people do lots of
stocks/trade on their PDAs here in US), plus nice and consistent fonts
(better be the same their embedded systems have...).

For the rest poor of us who are still capable to upgrade their X just fine,
plain old freetype/Unicode trutypes could be a nice solution, though.

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org