[links-list] Re: Links 2.0pre6 - Cyrillic :-(

Eduard Werner edi.werner at gmx.de
Sun Nov 3 23:04:21 PST 2002

> В сообщении от 3 Ноябрь 2002 17:16 вы написали:
> > No El, no U, no De, no Zhe, no short I in links -g - neither small
> > nor capital ones!
> I have a complete Russian Cyrillic set (working on full Cyrillic set right
> now, and on "bolds".... wish they'd have italics on Links...)

Great! I'm looking forward to it.

> > At the moment, links -g has better support for Hiragana/Katakana than
> > for Cyrillic :-(
> Once again: who needs that Hiragana/Katakana without kanji, tell me, please.
> Moreover, I've got relatively full (CJK included) Bitstream Cyberbit on this
> very Linux box I use Links, who's gonna cut it, re-outline, hint, and
> antialiase more than 35 thousand xxxxx.png files?

Antialias is not necessary for Kanji, I guess. I'd be content with Japanese
pages I could at least *read* instead of seeing trash. So maybe these pngs
could be generated automatically to render simply a *readable* version of such
pages?

> So, when and if Links
> authors ever try to make Links fully Unicode/Web encodings compatible (it
> means, among others, a *correct* support of at least THREE Japanese
> codepages), that Links version (my guess it would sound something like
> 3.1pre12, hehe....) would be more or less freetype2-compatible for
> rasterizing trutypes and capable of using mozilla layout engine.
> "Brain" guy would give me his permission, and I'd  upload my re-designed and
> re-hinted Russian pngs. As soon as, that is... Stimmt?
>
> > "Mahanika by L.D.Landau i E.M. Lifshic" becomes "Mehanika by . . an a
> > i E.M. i ic". ARGL :-(
> So, what's your problem with 'Mehanika'? Out of these two, it's exactly
> 'Mahanica' which is wrong transliteration.

Apart from that sloppy use of "transliteration" -- I guess that was
simply a slip of the finger.

Cheers

Edi
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org