[links-list] Re: development ideas

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt jupp at gmx.de
Sat Nov 2 14:42:18 PST 2002

* On 2002-11-02 14:51
* Petr Baudis <pasky at pasky.ji.cz> wrote:
> Though I'm honestly not sure about reasons for using lynx (except
> its support for DOS) - this is not intended to start a flame, I
> just wondered many times in what exactly is lynx superior to ELinks
> (so that we could help ourselves a bit in the ladder ;-) and feared
> to ask.

Lynx does support Japanese (though w3m is the better choice in this
case), Korean and Chinese and can use RFC 1345 Mnemonics as well as
RFC1345 w/o intro to display characters not available in charset
used.

>> and that you need to access from a server machine that is not
>> running X for security reasons.
>
> How X server involves security? :)

X servers have the potential of local root exploits and deadlocking
machines. Besides that: A firewall blocking access to port 6000 is
good but not having anything listen on it is much better. Complete
list of my local machine showing *all* ports that have something
listen on them:

25/tcp     filtered
119/tcp    filtered
6000/tcp   filtered
8080/tcp   filtered
8081/tcp   filtered

25 is SMPT, 119 is NNTP, 8080/8081 is leafnode, 6000 is an artefact
resulting from firewall configuration (X is not running at the
moment, I only startx if X is needed - which on some days means 'not
at all'). UDP is not available.

> Well, I assume you meant ordinary text (E)Links with just pictures
> rendered using aalib. I fear that won't be overly usable as well,
> though, since aalib-rendered pictures usually need a large space to
> actually carry anything more than a line noise.. :-(

132x50 is not that little - that's the highest text mode resolution
my old ATI Mach 64 and old monitor are capable of displaying at
useable refresh rate (132x60 works but flickers).

Also Links supports image rescaling so one could actually make the
ascii-art larger than screen.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org