[links-list] I'm in DirectFB-enhanced Links 2.1pre4 now... at last

aludal aludal at softhome.net
Fri Nov 1 16:24:44 PST 2002

Hi,
I did it.
To achieve this, it took a somewhat non-trivial hack, and full two nights long
examining my logs.

1. Appending lilo.conf by "video:matrox:[bla-bla-bla]" to invoke framebuffer
driver may be needed only for testing fb video modes available to a
particular videocard+monitor combination. To apply the max resolution
possible though, one needs to
append="video:<fbdriver>,<maxclk:MHz>,<maxhfreq:kHz>,<maxhfreq:Hz>,<depth:bpp>
like once, just to check whether it works at all (fb "modelines are WAY
different from usual X modelines... I couldn't find a reliable (online) fb
timing calculator, to extend beyond crappy VESA 2.0 standards, but I
certainly did incremental something with this "max" approach.)
When you have your fb-enabled Linux booting, you can find that a workable fb
driver displays messages (non-workable won't... you can observe this one by
the smoke from your monitor. But if the monitor is protected from the
terribly stupid internal fb modes calculator, then it's OK, and Linux must
boot into X (provided that init 5 was ordered). Otherwise, a workable fb
timing set could be discovered by issueing a command fbset -i, then the
/etc/fb.modes must be prepended with exactly what fbset -i says.
Now, you can get rid of that invoking fb at the boot time altogether, it won't
be needed.

2. An ordinary GPM library was needed for Links' mouse to function
properly.... Not anymore, as DFB-enhanced Links segfaults, when two mouse
drivers clash in their fight over VT. So, I went and killed gpm ("gpm stop"
just didn't work for that hardy bastard).

3. Re-compiling a (distro's stock) kernel leaves a lot of symlinks broken,
whatever you do or don't do to preserve or update System.map and initrd.img.
Besides, it took me to recompile DirectFB on top of fb-enabled box, and even
then previously dfb-patched links didn't work. So, I repatched a fresh links
pre4 distribution, replaced the stock fonts with my (Cyr) hand-tooled
outlines,  did ./gen there, and did ./rebuild reconf && make && make install.
It should show "X FB DIRECTFB" as graphics drivers as config options for Links
now, and it did.

4. Before starting playing with your new toy, go to your console and start
some mc, or mutt, or whatever which had gpm support lately. Play with your
mouse inside that console, and check for possible gpm revival. Kill it, more
harshly this time!

5. links -g -driver directfb starts the whole bloody thing on full screen.
Nice 3D-shaded cursor, though. And rejoice ye linksinners, Shift key is
working again!!! (Who broke that, anyway? Deny him his regular Pilsner for
the weekend) Otherwise, no sweat:
a) where's the windowing thing, I don't need it on full screen?
b) how do I change keyboard layout to what I use: Ctrl-Shift to switch to
Cyrillic?
c) where's that alpha-blending toy? Wish I knew what I need that one for,
though..., But what I really need is this:  stock Links has a nasty dark-grey
background for Web pages that just don't care about backgrounds (like
www.mozilla.org, for example). How do I change that very bad behavior once
and for all? I need white there, as my hand-tooled fonts lose all of their
charm when their subpixel antialiasing goes literally into the drain of
eqally grey background.

The subtotal of all this reconfiguring orgy is, basically, a nice 3D pointer
so far.

Now my questions are:
1) If there's possibility to implement clipboard (text/image)
mouse-Select-Copy-Paste in DFB-enhanced Links, then it needs to be done above
all.
2) Links badly needs an alternative freetype2 font layout engine as an option
(present png font sets may stay for non-X, or as a fallback). I'd prefer
Mozilla's here, and I've heard somewhere that it's something called
OpenSource, for anyone to grab a good engine whose metrics handling was
licked for 9 years now. So grab it, for Christ sake!

2) Full-fledged (3D) navigation buttons must be implemented, as well as
falldown-menues, and a (bookmark-list) sidebar. Well, as soon as DirectFB
gets a more sensible windowing manager I suppose.

There's more feature requests, but they possibly don't have anything to do
with DirectFB (projected) enhancements.

P.S. As for Mozilla's recent freetype2/Xft2 fonts rendering/layout
enhancement, I published a mini-howto called FONT DEMOZILLAFYING HOWTO in my
Silicon Valley LUG couple days ago. Somebody not so links-centric in this
mailinglist may find it useful, so here it goes:

> I installed TrueType.... RedHat 7.2.... Arial still looks horrible in
> Mozilla 1.2. ...Ximian...

>...tips or tricks?

Well, I could offer both tips & tricks not covered in many recent "Font
de-uglification" HOWTOs. So, here comes

***** FONT DEMOZILLAFYING HOWTO *****
Copyleft 2002 Alexander Udalov
aludal at softhome.net
SJ CA

1. First of all, make sure you've achieved the absolute ceiling of screen
resolution that your videocard+monitor could manage. It should be at least
120dpi, otherwise throw away your card+monitor, there's nothing you can
deuglify for them. Don't listen to the Palm-holding blokes telling that at
1600x1280 or more fonts would look too small, they don't know what they're
talking about. There's virtually no excuse of using lesser
resolutions/colordepths than your card+monitor are capable without blurring.
My working resolution is 2048x1536 on a 21" screen, and it
gives me real-world pointsizes with the addition of this in X86Config-4's
(Section "Monitor"):

        DisplaySize             400 300

(visible raster hsize vsize in millimeters; have a European tape measure
ready). So, apart from dpi, my screen 10 pointsize letter looks exactly like a
paper-printed 10 pointsize letter.
In raising your (X or framebuffer, or even DirectFB I'm playing with now)
screen resolution, you'd need your card+monitor detailed specs handy, plus
some (online) modeline calculator, so go google them out.

2. You'd need to update your XFree86 to 4.2.0+freetype2 v. 2.1.2, as the
least. RedHat's stock freetype rpm wouldn't challenge Apple patents, so you'd
better take (European) freetype latest sources and build it yourself, with
bytecode interpreter turned ON this time (don't tell Apple... or Adobe, hehe.
Don't use it on production machines, only for home eye candy). While building
and installing your fresh freetype2 do NOT forget to clean XFree86 of old
libfreetype chunks, like what its Readme-Unix says.

3. Go to your /etc/X11/fs/config and edit it (this time patents are mine:)
# 100 x 100 and 75 x 75
default-resolutions = 75,75,100,100

must look like:

#100 x 100 and 75 x 75
default-resolutions = 130,130,100,100

Naturally, substitute "130" with whatever you've got (proud owners of Dell
Inspiron 8x00's or Emperor Penguin's UXGA screens can put "158" there.... oh
boy, anyone give me that toy for xmas!). Then, while still in this config
file, re-shuffle your fonts order in catalog (patent is not mine anymore):
a) first goes your collection with Arial (it better be MS webfonts, Arial
Unicode, or Arial Narrow with nicer outlines, as these are treated better by
otherwise very dumb freetype2.)
b) then you re-arrange the rest with "100dpi" and "unscaled" go before "75dpi"
and (scaled), Type1, Speedo and other legacy crap

4. Go to your XftConfig, add and alias whatever Arial you want to NOT be
substituted by stock Helvetica, or (Type 1 Adobe's old glyphs) Arial. There's
loads of howtos and real-life XftConfig specimens out there in the Google,
have a look.

5. Now you are ready to de-mozillafy your Mozilla 1.2.
a) Go to Mozilla menu's Edit->Preferences->Appearance->Fonts->check that
Display resolution has 'System setting', or better have your millimeter type
measure ready, again, to calibrate.
b) Go to your /usr/local(or is it lib with
you?)/mozilla/defaults/pref/unix.js, find the followinf section and edit it
like this:

// TrueType
pref("font.FreeType2.enable", true);
pref("font.freetype2.shared-library", "libfreetype.so.6");
// "if libfreetype was built without hinting compiled in" <-- you didn't do
// very stupid thing, did you?
// "it is best to leave hinting off" <-- maybe.... or maybe not. See below.
pref("font.FreeType2.autohinted", true);
pref("font.FreeType2.unhinted", true);

(As they say, actually Mozilla was prepared to use autohints since v. 1.0.1,
but freetype2 was a disaster then. From the Mozilla point of view, it mostly
remains that way as per October 31, 2002, so this hack is still a hack, and
not an official feature. Anyway, you are free to play with two last "true",
like changing them into "false"one by one, and carefully examining your
results in 6 to 36 pointsizes)

c) Your Arial should look smooth and tender like a baby ass now, but there's
lots more to tweak. For me, Arial/Helvetica/Espy Sans and all other (obsolete
up to the giveaway value, designed and hinted @75-96dpi) computer sanserifs
are a poor man's solution to bad screens' readability, or legibility
problems. The true grandeur of watching the Web pages comes only with
addition of professional, hand-crafted, delta-hinted (at least at 120dpi, or
higher) serifs by major type foundries like Bitstream, Lynotype. Well, by
Adobe and Monotype, too.  But even the latest freetype-2.1.3rc2 is still too
stupid to handle something like charming Cheltenham collection. Or Apple
Garamond, or Titus Cyberbit Unicode Basic (the latter is free-downloadable,
for good-mannered linguists, like you and me.) Here comes a very nice "Xft
Hack":

http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dchest/xfthack/

The name is obsolete now, as the hack was applied to freetype2, and you'd need
to download only ft-slight-2002xxxx.tar.gz from there, to replace your
libfreetype.so.6.3.2 with it.

When adding new, and much nicer than Arial TrueType fonts, beware of present
mkttfdir completely and hopelessly broken. Its replacement ttmkfdir segfaults
easily too. You may end up with manual tooling your fonts.dir, fonts.scale --
it's straightforward. Mozilla doesn't use this legacy crap though, you just
need to declare your shiny new fonts to it if there's a separate/unusual
directory made for them.

That's it. If you're dissatisfied still, or wouldn't go higher than your
present measly 1280x960, discard mozilla altogether and go for graphic Links
by Czech Twibright Labs:

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/download.html (better
use version 2.1pre3, as pre4 is pretty buggy)

This mozilla/opera/phoenix killer browser sports hardwired pseudo-Unicode
pre-hinted png fonts (I handtooled the Cyrillic part for them... don't shoot
me), and it would look just fine on your 320x200 Redhatted "machine".
Besides, Links is lightning fast.

Have fun!

--- Say NYET to the .NET! Say NYET to Osama Bill Gates! -

Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org