[links-list] Re: development ideas

Petr Baudis pasky at pasky.ji.cz
Fri Nov 1 13:57:55 PST 2002

Dear diary, on Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 08:04:37PM CET, I got a letter,
where Josef 'Jupp' Schugt <jupp at gmx.de> told me, that...
> * On 2002-11-01 18:15
> * bulia byak <bulia at dr.com> wrote:
> > A text-only browser is a wonderful thing, and it's great that it
> > didn't stop at Lynx but is being actively developed.
>
> Lynx *is* being actively developed. Table support of recent version
> is much better than it was in older versions.

Though I'm honestly not sure about reasons for using lynx (except its support
for DOS) - this is not intended to start a flame, I just wondered many times in
what exactly is lynx superior to ELinks (so that we could help ourselves a bit
in the ladder ;-) and feared to ask.

> > However there are some features in modern graphic browsers that, I
> > think, will make even more sense in a text-only browser.
>
> Jepp. A text-only browser could in fact BE a graphics browser. It
> would be great if someone would create an ASCII-Art graphics driver
> or - even better - an ANSI-Art one. The difference between ASCII- and
> ANSI-Art is that the latter allows for colors using ANSI escape
> sequences.

.oO(SDL backend for Links and then aalib support is trivial ;) (I don't say
that it'll be usable, though)

> That is not that strange an idea. Just imagine a download page that
> is unusable without graphics

Huh? Like? What makes it unusable? Could you elaborate here, please?

> and that you need to access from a server machine that is not running X for
> security reasons.

How X server involves security? :)

> In such a case, ANSI-Art would be very helpful.

Well, I assume you meant ordinary text (E)Links with just pictures rendered
using aalib. I fear that won't be overly usable as well, though, since
aalib-rendered pictures usually need a large space to actually carry anything
more than a line noise.. :-( Might be an interesting try, though.

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis

* IRCnet operator                  * FreeCiv AI occassional hacker
.
This host is a black hole at HTTP wavelengths. GETs go in, and nothing
comes out, not even Hawking radiation.
                -- Graaagh the Mighty on rec.games.roguelike.angband
.
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org