[links-list] Re: development ideas

Petr Baudis pasky at pasky.ji.cz
Fri Nov 1 13:51:40 PST 2002

Dear diary, on Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 08:25:11AM CET, I got a letter,
where aludal <aludal at softhome.net> told me, that...
> ? ????????? ?? 31 ??????? 2002 22:37 ?? ????????:
> > Dear diary, on Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 05:11:43AM CET, I got a letter, where
> > bulia byak <bulia at dr.com> told me, that...
> >
> > > A text-only browser is a wonderful thing, and it's great that it didn't
> > > stop at Lynx but is being actively developed. However there are some
> > > features in modern graphic browsers that, I think, will make even more
> > > sense in a text-only browser. I'm just wondering if anyone of the
> > > (e)links developers considered implementing them.
> > >
> > > 1. Type-ahead find, as implemented in Mozilla recently. You just start to
> > > type any word from any visible link, and it becomes selected at once. A
> > > very "textual" feature that would make (e)links much more pleasant to
> > > use. This is somewhat similar to numbered links, but is MUCH faster and
> > > more intuitive.
> >
> > Well, as (E)Links is a text browser, it has to be much more focused on the
> > keyboard, which has to be the primary mean of control. Thus, most of the
> > keys are bound to various actions, thus they can't be safely used for the
> > type-ahead find.  Except that it'd be prefixed by some key as well,
> > obviously. Interesting idea ;-).
> May I add something to this line of discussion, too.
> Unlike in graphic Links. you guys have in your ELinks text-Select/Copy/Paste
> with keyboard, or even with mouse dragging working, right?

Yes.. BUT - we don't implement it by ourselves, but we use the "uponlying"
layer, that is either gpm (console) or xterm (xterm) (much like in text Links
;). That is, we don't have generic access to the clipboard (at least in console
and at least with vanilla kernels) and not even to the selected range. I plan to
do something with this (I've patch for 2.5 kernel enabling this almost done), but
(again) it'll take time.

(Note that we (and original Links) support the direct clipboard operations to
some degree. The thing is that you must run OS/2. ;-)

Ideally, we should handle the complete range of selection operations by
ourselves, so that we could properly handle selection inside of frames, tables
etc, but that'd be hell to implement properly, at least with the Links'
layouting engine and for me ;-).

> IMHO, a very simple but effective idea would be popup menu on selecting a
> word in a web page. This menu would contain something like "Search in
> Google/Search in Google Groups/Search in Google Linux/Search in Google
> News/Search in Dictionary.com/Search for Another Entry on the Current
> Page/Search for Translation (to English, I suppose, would be the first
> option, but I'd personally prefer Japanese, so it might be a user option to
> choose). Somehow I don't think it would be difficult to implement.

Sure, this would be trivial when we would have the clipboard issue solved
aleady.

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis

* IRCnet operator                  * FreeCiv AI occassional hacker
.
This host is a black hole at HTTP wavelengths. GETs go in, and nothing
comes out, not even Hawking radiation.
                -- Graaagh the Mighty on rec.games.roguelike.angband
.
Unsubscribe: send email to links-list-request at linuxfromscratch.org