[lfs-support] LFS-9.0-rc1 is released

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 12:25:35 PDT 2019

The Linux From Scratch community announces the release of LFS Version
9.0-rc1. It is a preliminary release of LFS-9.0.

Major changes include toolchain updates to gcc-9.2.0 and glibc-2.30. In
total, 33 packages were updated since the last release. Changes to the
text have also been made throughout the book. The Linux kernel has also
been updated to version 5.2.8.

Note that the major version of LFS has changed to 9. This has been done
to keep LFS and BLFS version numbers synchronized. The BLFS System V
version has added the elogind package which now allows Gnome to be built
in the new environment.

We encourage all users to read through this release of the book and test
the instructions so that we can make the final release as good as possible.

You can read the book online [0], or download [1] to read locally.

In coordination with this release, a new version of LFS using the
systemd package is also being released. This package implements the
newer systemd style of system initialization and control and is
consistent with LFS in most packages.

You can read the systemd version of the book online [2], or download [3]
to read locally.

    -- Bruce

[0] http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/9.0-rc1/
[1] http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/9.0-rc1/