[lfs-support] Problem compiling findutils

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 08:49:07 PDT 2019

On 8/1/19 11:08 PM, Michael Shell wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 20:47:30 +0000
> Niels Terp <nielsterp at hotmail.dk> wrote:
>
>> fflush.c:42:20: error: '_IO_IN_BACKUP' undeclared (first use in this function)

This command in the instructions was missed:

echo "#define _IO_IN_BACKUP 0x100" >> gl/lib/stdio-impl.h

> FWIW, IMHO, GNU really needs to release a newer version of findutils.
> The latest release dates to 2015
>
> https://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/findutils/
>
> and won't compile with the latest glibc, which is the problem you are seeing.
> That issue, and many, many more have already been fixed in the findutils
> git tree:
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=findutils
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/findutils.git/
>
> Just look at all the stuff the git version of findutils fixes:
>
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/findutils.git/log/
>
> It takes 5 pages of these fixes to reach back to the 4.6.0 release
> point. Look at all the bugs that have been fixed since then. Wow!
>
> Remember that when building from git source, you may have to run
>
> autoreconf
>
> first to get a working ./configure script.
>
> Alternatively, debian's findutils source package is based on the git
> tree back in May:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/findutils
> http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/f/findutils/findutils_4.6.0+git+20190510-2.debian.tar.xz
>
> Maybe we at LFS should consider switching to building findutils
> from GIT (or providing our own GIT snapshot release) or use the
> debian source package until GNU does another release.

We are going into package freeze in about two weeks for the next LFS
release.  I'll look at this closely just before freeze.  I created a
ticket so we will not forget.

A new version should simplify our instructions. My inclination is to
create our own tarball from git.