[lfs-support] Problem compiling findutils

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Thu Aug 1 21:08:11 PDT 2019

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 20:47:30 +0000
Niels Terp <nielsterp at hotmail.dk> wrote:

> fflush.c:42:20: error: '_IO_IN_BACKUP' undeclared (first use in this function)

FWIW, IMHO, GNU really needs to release a newer version of findutils.
The latest release dates to 2015

https://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/findutils/

and won't compile with the latest glibc, which is the problem you are seeing.
That issue, and many, many more have already been fixed in the findutils
git tree:

https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=findutils
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/findutils.git/

Just look at all the stuff the git version of findutils fixes:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/findutils.git/log/

It takes 5 pages of these fixes to reach back to the 4.6.0 release
point. Look at all the bugs that have been fixed since then. Wow!

Remember that when building from git source, you may have to run

autoreconf

first to get a working ./configure script.

Alternatively, debian's findutils source package is based on the git
tree back in May:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/findutils
http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/f/findutils/findutils_4.6.0+git+20190510-2.debian.tar.xz

Maybe we at LFS should consider switching to building findutils
from GIT (or providing our own GIT snapshot release) or use the
debian source package until GNU does another release.

  Cheers,

  Mike Shell