[lfs-support] LFS 7.10 - libreadline.so.6 not found error - when running make in 6.40 Perl-5.24.0

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 8 11:34:33 PDT 2018

@Nikos, I am currently running 7.10 (albeit an x86-64 build), and still build/maintain my 32-bit (B)LFS systems.  I hadn't been paying attention to your thread, currently distracted setting up the 400+ scripts of my 8.1 build.  I'm going through your thread "with gun and camera".  I don't have any of the logs from that build, they're only for debugging a package's build.  Let's see what shows up.

But first, IF it's necessary to start over again, I think it may be worth the effort to upgrade gcc in Ch-5.5, -5.10, & -6.17 to 7.3 to get retpoline and hope there's no breakage.  Then I'd also patch the kernel up to get the KPTI patches.  I've patched up to 4.9.75 to get some early patches, and plan to keep up with the latest 4.9 patches for now.  I followed Ken's approach of a separate gcc-7.3 in /opt for compiling the kernel.

Now to your thread...

- I have some reservations about using Virtual Box, and Ubuntu though others say that works (I can't.  I've been using LFS hosts since 4.1).  One must be certain of the image VB is presenting your build environment.  In particular for a 32-bit build, there's the problem of building gmp for 32-bits on a 64-bit system.  I find I must be "forensic" about cross-building like that.  I use --target quite a lot, just to make sure gcc knows what it will run on.

- I agree with Thanos that the "ldd /bin/bash" is a major problem, and means you must backtrack at least as far as 6.33, and with your diagnosis that there was already a problem at 6.17.  "ldd /usr/bin/file" shouldn't still be looking at /tools, which strongly implicates 6.10, "Adjusting the toolchain".

(And in the absence of a good package manager watching your build and able to selectively remove everything since, I hope you tarballed Ch5 at completion, and can start over with a clean "partition" at the start of Ch6.  I always do that and keep it until the build is running reasonably well,)

- I think where you made your mistake is:
> there is a reference of tools here but is accepted according
> to this log
>
> http://lfs.phayoune.org/lfs/build-logs/8.1-rc1/pentium4/logs/077-adjusting

That is NOT authoritative. The book is!

Your SEARCH_DIR still references /tools.  Stop there.  Until that is fixed, everything else is a waste of time and effort.

You need to get back to the end of 6.9 with everything "squeaky clean"--which may not be easy, but you must be able to prove it--and redo 6.10 exactly as the book says.  If it doesn't work, then something has already departed from the book's path--and that's why I used the word "forensic" above.  No deviations are allowed.  And yes, from time to time I've had problems there myself.

- I start all my build scripts "#!/bin/bash -e" so they "drop out" on errors.  Of course 6.10 relies on visual inspection.  I intersperse "echo "Continue?"; read dummy" at each check, and ^C if it doesn't match.

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm